What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ne. platychilla

• Thread starter mAdmAx
  • Start date
Hi there,

I've some questions about Ne. platychilla. In what altitude is the plant distributed and what compost mix is the best.

Cheers,
Max

I do not know of anyone who has this plant, want a $1000 for yours?
smile_m_32.gif

I know someone who has it. Growing it in typical intermediate/highland conditions in typical Nepenthes soil mix. I hope you are young, these guys are tiny!
smile.gif

Thank you, nepenthes gracilis!

I Think Julian (Chesera) might Have one.

Hi Max
Mine is only just over 2cms across.I grow it in intermediate conditions and its potted in chopped LFS.
It has just unfurled its first leaf for me so its getting the idea.
heres a little piccy.
4.jpg

Bye for now  julian

Hi julian,

good that your plant's feeling same as 'at home'
smile.gif
Do you cultivate the plant in a greenhouse?

mfG
Max

Hi Max
Yes she's in the greenhouse,slightly shaded at the moment but will gradually introduce more sunlight as it grows. apart from that its fairly easy

bye for now
Julian

Hi all:

I know N. platychila will be available soon!. Can anybody guess where are they coming from?. that should not be too difficult to guess. By the way they will not cost 1000 dollars!

Gus

I believe that this species grows at about 1000 m, and it
seems to do quite well in a mix of sphagnum, orchid bark,
and perlite. It is quite easy to cultivate successfully.

Cool, glad to hear it'll be coming soon! I've been waiting on this bugger! Any US dealers reading this who'll have one, go ahead and PM or email me with aproximate date and price, I'm ready!

The $1000 was a joke... although a cutting off an adult N. klossii would probably be able to get that much outta me! After klossii, edwardsiana and playtchilla what else is there?

Those jungle explorers are gonna have to discover some new "holy grail" species - we're running low!
smile_n_32.gif

Swords, I would talk to Tony or check out his list of up coming plants that should answer your question.

Josh, $1,000 eh?  
smile.gif
 Woo! Hoo!

I expect that in no time you'd have it rather larger, looking like this:

platychila.jpg

There are new species being discovered all the time, it just takes a while for them to be introduced to cultivation.  There's going to be at least one more introduction of a new species this year.

Hi there,

what process has to be done to name e.g. the sp. #8 a platychilla? The species was discovered 1998 and described as playchilla 2002. So it takes so long to describe species?

Cheers,
Max

Josh, you forgot the the natural hybrid I CRAVE! N. x kinabaluensis!

Hi Josh:

i guess you forgot about N. vogelli, N. hurelli, N species number 7, N. alpicola, N. tenuis, N. glanduligera, N. species nova of sumatra, species nova of butikingi, etc. etc. etc
smile_m_32.gif

I am falling out of the loop...I had not even heard of N. glanduligera! What is this one like?

Joe

Max, it can sometimes take a long while to describe a species.  Often there is only a single plant discovered at first and herbarim material may be insufficient for a proper description and to lodge in herbariums.  I understand a male flower is important if one can be found.  Then the author must do extensive research to ensure the plant has not already been described as something else.  This often entails visits to herbariums, then the description has to be written and often a line drawing done.  Then it has to be actually published and publications sometimes are backlogged for a long time.  Finally, to get all this done. the discoverer has to be suffficiently motivated and have the time to go through the process.

Joachim, I got a shock in that the photo I posted seems to taken from that Japanaese website.  It's been circulating for a while and was sent to me as an e-mail attachment. I hope the owener's permission was obtained for it's general use.  I'll try and check.  That N. edwardisiana is nice!

Joe, N. glandulifera looks a little like N. stenophylla, at least when juvenile, but the stem, petioles and underside of the leaves are covered in little black dots.  When Ch'ien Lee discovered this species he at first thought the plants had a fungal problem but it turned out that the black dots are nectar glands.  Sorry, I don't have a photo of this species.

Back