Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. pilosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

although not being very popular, Nepenthes pilosa produces very nice and hairy pitchers when getting a bit older.

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/joachim/N_pilosa_130804.jpg[/img]

(Clone from MT)

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pic! Not a very exciting pitcher, is it? Would make a great parent in a hybrid, though....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I agree it would probably be a good cross I think N.pillosa x ampularia "cantleys red" would be cool!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim:

I received a tiny plantlet as a freebie from MT in 1999. Since it was not ID'd, I assumed it to be a Nepenthes veitchii, since the leaves were emarginate, the plant hirsute, and the very slow initial growth all pointed towards that plant. Just recently, with its first good-sized lower pitchers developing, I realized that it is a N. pilosa. I disagree with those who lump it with the ugly ducklings of the genus. I think some of the concolorous green spp. can be quite elegant when displayed to their favor. I look forward to seeing mine convert to a climber. Note that C. Clarke wrote that large colonies of this sp. were one of the attractions of Bornean mossy forests.

BTW - I just visited your website. Congratulations on many beautiful and well-grown plants.

SJ

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nice, good size pilosa, but it hasnt pitchered in a while due to the warm summer months. They're deffinately not intermidiates...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that for most of us, most nep species are beautiful. Remember that "the beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Having said that, i like pilosa very much. I know that it is not as attractive as a hamata, villosa, rajah, or jacquelinae, but it has its beauty!

Another underrated Nep is Nep muluensis. I love its dark purple pitchers. I still want to get the white topped muluensis from G. mulu. So far, i have only seen the all-purple version from G. murud in the market. Does anybody knows where to get the other variant?

Thanks

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Augustín:

I agree that N. muluensis is a fantastic, under-rated plant. I have a beautiful example from Geoff Mansell that shows a lot of white on the uppers, altho' not the clear white lid so conspicuous in Andreas Wistuba's gorgeous gallery photos. I grow mine in full sunlight at 1,600 m here in Guatemala and suspect that the Gunung Murud plants will show more color under these conditions than at lower elevations/higher latitudes. I have noticed that as the climbing stems elongate, the uppers are showing more contrasting tones.

Cheerio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an upper from the Malesiana clone (which is also the one that Exotica has). I really should take another because subsequent uppers have had even less purple. I also have a clone or two from Wistuba and the lower pitchers are little more tubby and appear to have less solid purple color at the top of the pitcher compared to this clone.

As for N. pilosa. Very underrated! Really nice glowing green pitchers and the white fuzz is really neat.

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast