What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. pilosa

Hi,

although not being very popular, Nepenthes pilosa produces very nice and hairy pitchers when getting a bit older.

N_pilosa_130804.jpg

(Clone from MT)

Cheers Joachim

Nice pic! Not a very exciting pitcher, is it? Would make a great parent in a hybrid, though....

Nice! I agree it would probably be a good cross I think N.pillosa x ampularia "cantleys red" would be cool!

Joachim:

I received a tiny plantlet as a freebie from MT in 1999. Since it was not ID'd, I assumed it to be a Nepenthes veitchii, since the leaves were emarginate, the plant hirsute, and the very slow initial growth all pointed towards that plant. Just recently, with its first good-sized lower pitchers developing, I realized that it is a N. pilosa. I disagree with those who lump it with the ugly ducklings of the genus. I think some of the concolorous green spp. can be quite elegant when displayed to their favor. I look forward to seeing mine convert to a climber. Note that C. Clarke wrote that large colonies of this sp. were one of the attractions of Bornean mossy forests.

BTW - I just visited your website. Congratulations on many beautiful and well-grown plants.

SJ

I have a nice, good size pilosa, but it hasnt pitchered in a while due to the warm summer months. They're deffinately not intermidiates...

I am sure that for most of us, most nep species are beautiful. Remember that "the beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Having said that, i like pilosa very much. I know that it is not as attractive as a hamata, villosa, rajah, or jacquelinae, but it has its beauty!

Another underrated Nep is Nep muluensis. I love its dark purple pitchers. I still want to get the white topped muluensis from G. mulu. So far, i have only seen the all-purple version from G. murud in the market. Does anybody knows where to get the other variant?

Thanks

Gus

Augustín:

I agree that N. muluensis is a fantastic, under-rated plant. I have a beautiful example from Geoff Mansell that shows a lot of white on the uppers, altho' not the clear white lid so conspicuous in Andreas Wistuba's gorgeous gallery photos. I grow mine in full sunlight at 1,600 m here in Guatemala and suspect that the Gunung Murud plants will show more color under these conditions than at lower elevations/higher latitudes. I have noticed that as the climbing stems elongate, the uppers are showing more contrasting tones.

Cheerio

This is an upper from the Malesiana clone (which is also the one that Exotica has).  I really should take another because subsequent uppers have had even less purple.   I also have a clone or two from Wistuba and the lower pitchers are little more tubby and appear to have less solid purple color at the top of the pitcher compared to this clone.
Nmul_up.jpg

As for N. pilosa. Very underrated! Really nice glowing green pitchers and the white fuzz is really neat.

Tony

Wow that clone is much prettyer Imo.

Tony, you have a fantastic muluensis there!. I wanted to ask you whether this is from Gunung Mulu or Gunung Murud. I got some from Malesiana lately and it says that they are from gunung Murud. I am still not sure whether the location has a lot to do witht the cream-colour on the top of the pitchers. A clone from Phil Mann is completely purple but i don't know where he got it from.

Gus

darn you, Tony. Now I have to go clear more room.

Casplock
biggrin.gif

This is the purple clone from Malesiana. I am not sure where it is from. If I guessed it would be G. Mulu. It is available in AU from Exotica as well. I don't know where Phill Mann got his. It could be the purple Malesiana clone or it could be something different.

The Wistuba plant has pointier leaves and purple coloring but not the solid purple that the Malesiana/Exotica plant has throughout the entire plant. You can get a glimpse of the leaves in the photo. The green clone from Malesiana has a purple pitcher and green leaves with just a little purple flush.
(note I am talking about lower pitchers only. I have only seen upper pitchers so far from the purple Malesiana/Exotica plant)
Tony

Hi all:

Thanks Tony for your guidance. It's good to know the origins of all these plants to some extent.

It'd be great to know which type of muluensis BE has: Rob, any clues?

Thanks

Gus

Back