What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture time again?

Thanks Rob,

Will have to correct my info on the cross. I don't agree with the natural hybrid suggestions either. I have N. veitchii x fusca and while they are very pretty with the peristome elongated from the N. fusca. They don't look like any of the pics I have seen of this other plant.

I have mostly stopped trying to suppliment with insects. There are just too many plants. This time of year the plants do get a natural meal here and there on their own but I don't think it is enough to make much of an impact.
Tony

So, are you two trying to weave the moral that Osmocote is better than insect feeding?
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Personally I don't think one type of feeding is better than another, as long as a quality food is used and it's use and application is adjusted to fit the persons cultivation techniques.

By food I mean anything that could be used by the plant as nutrition and by any means absorbed into the plant.

Rob,
I must agree about Tony's plant pulling well ahead! Mine is in a very closely controlled growchamber, and is around 5 inches diameter with about one-one and a half inch pitchers...

Dino,
The temps sound alright, but I think you should progress slowly and wait for the TC plants to become widely available. I hate to say it, but maxima and ventrata are two of the most tolerant plants there are in my experience. Not trying to bring you down, just trying to prevent disappointment if such a jewel doesn't thrive in your conditions... What part of England are you in? I can help you out, because I do remember last summer in Lyme Regis the summer was optimal conditions for highland neps up to about 1600 m a.s.l, maybe even 2000(!). Of course, that was a mild coastline summer...
confused.gif
smile_l_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
  Ha! Ha! Joe.  We're not in the employ of Osmacote, honestly!  But you really should try it on your breakfast cereals, adds that extra crunch, much better than insects which tend to go soggy in the milk... and as a ball bearing substitute, or even as a hair restorer - ask Tony.  I know someone who ate nothing but a 20-20-20 balanced Osmactoe diet for a month and lost a lot of weight...  

Now I'm gonna get sued by someone whose kid tries it with their morning cereals and poisons themsleves.  Absolutely DO NOT do this - it tastes awful!  
smilie4.gif

Rob- tastes awful!?!? What about the smell in the bottle?! yuck! Smells like sour sweaty socks to me! lol Just like a nice whiff of ripe digestive acids.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 17 2004,9:43)]Here is one of the plant pics as requested.  Pot is 4" which makes the plant about 9" diameter.

This is the dark colored one pictured above.  The pitcher in the photo is on the lower right and it has just opened a new pitcher on the left.  It takes a little while for the pitchers to color up fully.

Njac3.jpg
Ooooh, I want it, I want it, I want it!!!
smile.gif

That is soooo cute!!!
smile.gif

Um, could someoen please anwser my questions first, please?
They are in my earlier post.
Thank you for any help,
Dino
cool.gif

There were several replies to your questions. I don't think anyone else answered because most would agree with the previous replies.

The problem with windowsill growing is that no two windowsills are alike. Your environment can be drastically different than the house right next door to you. They can even be drastically different from a windowsill in one part of the house to a different windowsill in the same house. Also worth mentioning that windowsill environments can fluctuate dramatically from one day to the next and one season to the next. What might work for you during several months might turn to out to not work during another portion of the year. Growing on a windowsill is hit and miss and highly experimental. I have grown a number of Nepenthes on my East and West windowsills at the house. Some times of the year they did fine other times not so fine.. sometimes they just up and died. They never did as well as they could have though, often spending much of the better part of the year (Spring/Summer) recovering from the cold and dry Winter. Maybe you will have better results on a year round basis since your climate is different than mine but do you really want to risk a (currently) very hard to get and expensive Nepenthes species on a windowsill?

T

I'm addicted to this jaquelineae!
That's so nice, Tony!
How old is the plant?

mfG
Max

That plant could win a prize at any show. Pitcher coloration is top notch too IMO.

What's it potted in? I thought the moss is a top dressing but it's poking out of the bottom of the pot too.

Madmax.. I have had the plant since Oct./Nov. 2002. They were about 1.5" diameter at the time.

Rob.. that is just some secondary moss growing on the surface. Never had any until I started using slow release fertilizer. Now it is everywhere to the point where it is growing on the potting mix at the drainage holes too. Can be a bit of a problem at times as it is very fast growing. The plant itself is potted in my normal mix of small coconut husk chips, perlite, and NZ Sphagnum (cut up a little) about 1:1:1 roughly, along with just a touch of peat to make it just a little more soil like.

Tony

Ah, never mind then. Maybe one day in about 10 years time. I really cant afford or have room for a terrarium, so theres not much point in anybody saying that because mum wont let me, theres no room and it costs too much, and its loads of hassle to upkeep it aswell.
smile_h_32.gif

I think I will get the orchid, Gongora gealata and put it in a hanging pot instead.
smile.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

Theres nothing wrong with orchids now, are there?  
smile.gif

Edit: Tony,
Your plant is one of the original 1850m population plants, correct? I thought I recalled Rob saying they were sprouting around the first half of 2002... Maybe not.
confused.gif

Rob,
Can you help out here? Now that they are all out in cultivation, can you maybe give a little more specific information on sprouting/sowing time?
Thanks,
John

They don't eat bugs
laugh.gif

smile_n_32.gif
 True. I am partial to plants with openings, stickiness, or fast motion closings.  
smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

(just don't tell Dino)

Yes these are the 1850m seed grown plants. A few came in at the end of 2002. Most that went up for sale arrived mid 2003. Some were put on the market by other nurseries at this time. So this is when hobbyists would have seen them commercially available. An educated guess I would say the plants are approaching their 3rd birthday this Fall.

Tony

That's what I was figuring, but I checked the tag, and somewhere from Rob I have down that they were sown in Early 2002... That's all that I have down.

Here's my technical growlist excerpt on the plant:
Nepenthes jacquelineae EPP 1850m/BE/Early ’02 seed/first stock/late ‘03rec

confused.gif

Seeds were first collected in Jan 2002. Germination was in February and all the plants we have put out to date were from seeds germinated in the nursery since they have been a major pain in the **** in sterile culture. We've finally cracked the tissue culture problem so there will be more plants hitting the market over the next year or so. Andreas and others also have this species now.

The 1850m location was the original location where Charles and Troy disovered the plant. The 1750m location (from which we have yet to release any plants) is a different mountain altogether. The plants from this second mountain are more robust and somewhat more colorful -although how much more colorful than that plant of Tony's, can't be imagined! Generally though, there is more variation in color with the plants from the second mountain, green peristomes with red pitchers and vice-versa.

I mentioned this thread to Charles Clarke who took a look and replied:

"Thanks for that! They look great, but no matter how much pleasure
people get from it, it'll never match the feeling I got the first time
I laid eyes on it!"

I can imagine!
smile.gif

Rob

Back