Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. muluensis lowers - pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony & amigos:

This pic was taken about six mos ago, prior to moving this plant on to a much larger pot, but you can see that it has very dark lower traps.

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/stonejaguar/Nepenthes%20muluensis%20MT-EP.jpg[/img]

And the uppers definitely get lighter-colored as the plant climbs higher.

SJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's awesome Stone Jaguar! This may be my next species.

Now, you say you moved it to a MUCH LARGER pot? Why? That one is pretty big! Does this species like huge pots?

Casplock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SJ,
    Phenomenal pitcher/leaf ratio! It looks like a bunch of pitchers sitting on the soil surface, like bowling pins!
    Do you live in a montane area of Guatamala, then?

Cheers,

Joe

PS I was just curious, since your outdoor conditions seem really good, are there native cp in the area?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe:

Yes, the house is at about 1,580 m.a.s.l. (if memory serves), backed by forested ravine. Guatemala City appears to provide an excellent climate for highland Neps.

This plant does seem to spread once established, and has responded very favorably to a larger pot (I use inverted pot within a pot technique to avoid "dead" areas in the lower strata of the medium). I am trying to obtain some cutting of the dwarf rhododendron that occurs up there too, Vireya burttii to use as a live trellis for this species. Very showy and elegant companion! Still no luck, but I have some feelers out in the Vireya community in the U.S.

Nearest CP's that I am aware of are a colony of Pinguicula mesophytica about an hour and one-half away, as well as aquatic Utrics scattered about seeps in the central highlands. Many gorgeous Orcheosanthus Pings here - ALL taxonomically problematical.

Ciao/SJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SJ,

really a wonderful plant. What plants do you grow outside?
    (Take more photos of the plant please [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] )

mfG
    Max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very beutiful! Is this species very closely related to N.tentaculata,and N.hamata?
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max & pb:

About 35 spp. of Neps & two hybrids. Will post additional photos as time and local conditions permit. Thanks for your commentary.

Yes, Nepenthes muluensis is considered a sib sp. to N. tentaculata. I am not sure how closely related both are to N. hamata - they certainly look very similar - but I'm sure that there are many in this forum that are better informed.

SJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This species is closely related to Ne. tentaculata. So the only known natural hybrid of muluensis is with tentaculata (x sarawakensis). The lower pitchers of muluensis have nearly the same shape like these of tentaculata.
    The species can only be found on borneo. So it's not related to hamata that is distributed in Sulawesi.

mfG
    Max

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast