Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp flower update...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's temperatures and photoperiods for their camps? They seem to be flowering for a lot of people and maybe there is a common denominator...
    I have two and they have never flowered. I should put them in different places and see what happens...
    I mentioned this to someone once, but I would think N. campanulata is the "TC in a 3" pot" plant of the future for the genus.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ratler, I was only planning on using the vent pollen, since I though I was only going to get two flowers (the rest of the scape looked like a dud). Now, howerver, there is a developing flourette at the tip with maybe six buds.

Does anyone know how many seeds come from one flower (typically)? That will help me make up my mind on whether to seek more kinds of pollen.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say about 2 dozen seed from each pod... (from what I've seen)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doen't that get confusing pllinating multiple flowers on the same stalk with different polland, or am I not understanding?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Sep. 13 2004,10:57)]Doen't that get confusing pllinating multiple flowers on the same stalk with different polland, or am I not understanding?

Cheers,

Joe
    well, usually you put a twisty tie or something for every inch of flower stalk, and that way you can get quite a bit of crosses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, I suppose it could, but with MAYBE 8 flowers on this scape, it wouldn't be too difficult to keep them straight. Little differenct colored threads or something tied around the bud-stems....I dunno...whatever I could think of. I also don't think I will use more that one more pollinator, if any more at all.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, your next flower stalk should be pretty big... First timers are always a little small [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty,

I'm sure I've read field study notes from either Wistuba or Clarke that Nepenthes campanulata does indeed reproduce via long runners or stolons much like a strawberry plant would. It uses these runners to seek out crevices in order to anchor itself along the vertical faces of the limestone cliff walls in which it grows. Plantlets eminating from these runners can be found quite some distance from the mother plant. In cultivation this process can be induced typically by growing the plant in smaller pots or in one instance I know of - in a hollowed out chunck of lava rock. It sounds to me like your plant may have been triggered into producing these growths. Keep an eye on them and let us know how large the runners get before they produce rosettes.

Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast