What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp flower update...

schloaty

Staff member
Hey everyone, here is a slightly better pic of the scape on my camp.  I'm inclined to say female, but I need more experienced oppinions.

Oh, and another question for anyone with older camps....Do they have a tendency to form basal shoots some distance from the main stem?  Mine is making two shoots that almost look like they're coming from runners  
smile_l_32.gif
.  I was just wondering if this is normal behaviour.

edit: Image deleted....sorry!

Possible it's female but still real hard to make out yet.

The basal shoots are probably just coming from some buried stem. They don't make runners or anything like that.

Tony, I guess that could be....But I never burried any stem. Certainly not all the way over at the edge of the pot....Weird. If I remember, I'll take a picture of it.

I would hazard a guess and say that it is probably a male.  This is based on my observation that the spike looks different from mine, which is a female.  Of course, I may be totally wrong having not seen a male inflorescence of Nep. campanulata before.  
smile.gif

Looks female to me. Not squashed flat enough to be a male I PERSONALLY think.

Dustin, when's the last time YOU were squashed flat?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif

Update: Campanulata is female. I pollenated the first open flower last night with ventricosa 'red' pollen from Jeremiah.

SWEET!

very cool. any other types of pollen you planning on using?

Rattler

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's temperatures and photoperiods for their camps? They seem to be flowering for a lot of people and maybe there is a common denominator...
I have two and they have never flowered. I should put them in different places and see what happens...
I mentioned this to someone once, but I would think N. campanulata is the "TC in a 3" pot" plant of the future for the genus.

Cheers,

Joe

Ratler, I was only planning on using the vent pollen, since I though I was only going to get two flowers (the rest of the scape looked like a dud). Now, howerver, there is a developing flourette at the tip with maybe six buds.

Does anyone know how many seeds come from one flower (typically)? That will help me make up my mind on whether to seek more kinds of pollen.

I would say about 2 dozen seed from each pod... (from what I've seen)

Doen't that get confusing pllinating multiple flowers on the same stalk with different polland, or am I not understanding?

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Sep. 13 2004,10:57)]Doen't that get confusing pllinating multiple flowers on the same stalk with different polland, or am I not understanding?

Cheers,

Joe
well, usually you put a twisty tie or something for every inch of flower stalk, and that way you can get quite a bit of crosses ;)

Joe, I suppose it could, but with MAYBE 8 flowers on this scape, it wouldn't be too difficult to keep them straight. Little differenct colored threads or something tied around the bud-stems....I dunno...whatever I could think of. I also don't think I will use more that one more pollinator, if any more at all.

Well, your next flower stalk should be pretty big... First timers are always a little small
smile_m_32.gif

Schloaty,

I'm sure I've read field study notes from either Wistuba or Clarke that Nepenthes campanulata does indeed reproduce via long runners or stolons much like a strawberry plant would. It uses these runners to seek out crevices in order to anchor itself along the vertical faces of the limestone cliff walls in which it grows. Plantlets eminating from these runners can be found quite some distance from the mother plant. In cultivation this process can be induced typically by growing the plant in smaller pots or in one instance I know of - in a hollowed out chunck of lava rock. It sounds to me like your plant may have been triggered into producing these growths. Keep an eye on them and let us know how large the runners get before they produce rosettes.

Phil

Hey Phil,
Thanks for that tid-bit ( and
smile_n_32.gif
to Tony ). Maybe I should re-pot it in a larger pot, or cut some holes in the side of the pot so the runners can poke out... THAT would be cool! one plant growing out of the pot, and several other, smaller ones, growing out of holes in the sides.... I could even re-pot it in a strawberry pot.... oh, the possibilities...

Back