What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland neps terrarium

I purchased my first lowland nepenthes (rafflesia) and I'm looking for some tips. It's a healthy specimen in a 5" pot. I've got it in my basement which is a uniform 70 degrees pretty much year round. The terrarium is a 2.5 gallon fish tank which is loosely covered with plastic wrap. I've left several openings for ventilation. I've placed a large mason jar filled to the brim with water in one corner with a small aquarium heater in it. I haven't purchased a thermometer for the tank yet but it feels around 80 degrees...plenty of humidity too. The lights are set for 14 hours at present. Should the heater also be set on the timer with the lights to allow for cooler night temps? Any advice from you neps sages would be greatly welcomed.

everything seems in order to me. i would set the ehater on a timer with the lights. my terr. gets a 10 degree temp drop at night. you dont mentioned what kind of lights you have so i'll assume they are right.

the only "problem" is that your raff. will quickly outgrow its home.

I'm using flourescent plant/aquarium tubes. I'll change plug outlets on the heater so It's on the timer with the lights. Thanks for the help!!!

Hi flytrap 59:

I don't believe rafflesianas are as temperamental when it comes to a strict set of temperatures like bicalcaratas and ampullarias. Just give it a warm daytime temperature 80F and make sure the temperature does not go below 60F or so.

It should be fine.

Gus

40 degrees dosn`t seem like a problom with raffs.

Hi Pond Boy. We are now stepping into the great grey area of nepenthes cultivation. How do we know when a plant is tolerant to extreme conditions or it just enjoys them?
I guess the only way to find out is to keep a plant under those extreme conditions for 6 months or so. After that, if the plant is still alive and producing pitchers then, it likes those growing conditions, but if the plant is without pitchers, black or no leaves, then, i guess it does not like the conditions.

Surviving vs. thriving, that's the question..

P.S. shakepearean phrase with a nep touch

Gus

i can live in 40 degrees , too. but i dont think i'd like it very much.

Back