What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fygee

I have two Burkei's planted in one pot (one three year old and one newbie), which is how I recieved it, and previously they had been sharing the pot quite nicely with no problems. However the juvenile plant has recently had a gigantic growth spurt, suddenly growing leaves 3 times the size it had been growing before, and its beginning to take over, and possibly cause harm to the larger plant because the large, new leaves are going to soon start pushing and bending the top part of it.

Now, I figure the best solution to this is to repot the small one into its own plant, but I'm just curious as to how well these plants handle root shock, or if I'll be able to seperate them at all as its quite likely the roots will be greatly intertwined. I'm also curious if I should do it now, or try to wait for dormancy since I hear people have better results repotting then.

I'll post a pic sometime soon so you can see what's going on.

Well that takes care of that issue then. ;)

Seperating them will be difficult to do without damaging the root systems of both plants. You can do it but have to treat the plants very carefully afterwards for several weeks to recover and grow new roots. You might be better off just leaving them and putting the whole thing into a larger pot overall and when they get too tall take cuttings and start new seperate plants.
Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 23 2004,9:46)]You can do it but have to treat the plants very carefully afterwards for several weeks to recover and grow new roots.
Tony,

how do you normally treat your plants? - Just curious.

Cheers Joachim

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ Aug. 23 2004,2:10)]Tony,

how do you normally treat your plants? - Just curious.

Cheers Joachim
Joachim,

Do you mean after a simple repotting when moving a smaller plant to a larger pot? In this case I just carefully remove the old mix which is loose. Sometimes the roots are one tight ball in which case I just leave it as is.

If you mean when trying to seperate two plants that have grown together in the same pot? I prefer to leave them but if they must be seperated I treat them as cuttings afterwards for at least a few weeks by putting them in sealed clear plastic bags and reduced indirect light.

Tony

Hi Tony,

you wrote that the plant should be treated carfully after repotting. - So I assumed your plants are normally not treated carefully, because you stressed this point...
smile.gif
(some negative logic included)

I'm always beeing very carful with my plants independant of being freshly repotted or not.

Cheers Joachim

hehe wondering it that was what you meant.. well out in the greenhouse it is more of survival of the fittest!

But deffinately after repotting they require an extra close eye. Simply moving a plant from one pot to another might cause hidden root damage which can become evident really fast! Particularly more important with larger plants than smaller plants which are easier to repot and have less leaf mass to support.

Tony

Back