What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.campanulata flower!?!

These plants (neps in general) are amazing! Just when you think you are doing something wrong, they surprise  you!  I have had a N. campanulata that i got from Tony P. a few months ago in my lowland chamber. It's warm, humid, in the 90's etc, etc. but the plant hasn't produce any pitchers for me, so I thought i was doing something wrong and that naturally he would start dying on me. Well, surprise, surprise, this afternoon after work, I check on my lowlanders, and there is my little N. camp producing a flower stalk for me!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

So, now I guess, I was making him feel right at home and perhaps, he wasn't producing any pitchers because he was using his energy to produce the stalk (?) But, anyway, I will continue to give him all that he wants and wait to see if I can get some pitchers out of him. I was just surprise to see this today! Like I said, these are AMAZING plants!!!    
smile.gif

Hi Wickmo
They are amazing plants that is for sure.Well done on the flowering bit you got to be doing something right for it to flower.

Bye for now julian

Cool! Alot of them have been flowering lately. I wonder why that is?
biggrin.gif

not sure why everyones camp's are flowering at the same time, that is pretty cool. but i do think a lil bit of stress will kick some Neps into flowering. i pretty sure my Miranda flowered cause i had repotted it about a month earlier.

Rattler

Gosh everyone's is flowering except mine ;< Either that or I managed to ship all mine that were in bud!

Out in the greenhouse they flower around the same time. Off hand I don't recall when they flowered last but their season might be coming up soon. Stress will deffinately induce plants to flower. Perhaps shipping and relocation has kicked them into flowering a little early.

Wickmo does it stay that warm all the time? Hope it cools off at least a little at night. How much light does it get? Generally when someone tells me a plant is not forming pitchers I look at moisture/humidity and light intensity as the most likely problems.

Tony

Tony,
It usually gets up to 89-92 F during the daytime hours with humidity in the 90% range. My chamber (which is actually just a 20 gallon tank right now) is set to a control timer; at 10pm the heating pad goes off along with the grow light. The temperature drops to the mid 80's and the humidity drops into the 80's as well. I have an opening in the lid to allow for air flow. the light goes back on again at 6 am. Am i keeping it too warm and humid?

Doesn't need to be quite so warm but I don't think that it's a major problem. I am still thinking light intensity. What kind of light is it? Also could save a few $ and reduce the lights to 14hrs without affecting the plants.

Tony

Back