What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep pics!

schloaty

Staff member
First, my truncata x ventricosa.

000_0114.JPG
 With my hand to show size comparisson.

trunc%20x%20vent.jpg
closer shot of petrisome

000_0116.JPG
Can anyone guess this one?

I am not the only for guessing but are you growning that nep outside in NY?

Very nice neps! That second one could be one of those N.miranda or N.gentle hybrids.???

PB, no, that last one is a species....  Tony, YOU'RE not allowed to guess....

Travis,
Yes, for now. We actually had great highland conditions this summer...Hot days, cool nights. July was more intermediate, but June and now August are highland. We've also been blessed with great humidity. Never below about 45 durring the day (usually higher), and almost always 95-100 durring the wee hours of the morning.

nope

nope.

dingdingdingding! We have a winner! By the way, Pond Boy, you were close. Eymae is concidered by some to be a type of maxima....They're very closely related, at any rate.

the red leave threw me for burbidgeae.

Very nice Dave! That N. truncata x ventricosa is really coming along nicely.
Tony

Hi Dave,
I'll take a stab at N. ventricosa x maxima.

Trent

Trent, you just did a quick reply before reading the whole thread, didn't you?

It's N. Eymae. A very nice one, at that....

Tony, you're right! It really is coming along nicely...especially considering this is the plant that took TWO dives off my deck (stupid wind). What an awesome petrisome! I love how it flares.... This one also makes a LOT of nectar when the pitchers are a little older.

Are you saying that this is growing on your deck in Brewster, NY?
I tried a ventrata outside here once(the plant everyone says is "idiot proof"). It never changed the whole Summer and then....we got a surprise snow dumped on us in the early Fall and it was dead.
Nebraska is a great place to raise a family, but for cp....
confused.gif

Cheers,

Joe

I wrote my answer, but before sending it I took a long phone call!
Nice plant. I guess the peristome is a bit too stripey for a vent x max anyway. One of these days we might have to try one of those and see how well they do with our summer heat. I've heard rumor that they are fairly resiliant to a few months of warm nights. Any comments?
Trent

Joe,
Yes, out on the deck railing. Along with several other "fussier" neps. We have never, EVER gotten surpries snows in August....Or even in Sept. For that matter. I do watch the weather channel religiously when there is that danger. I think the latest I would leave them out is Early Oct., depending on the season, for just that reason.

Trent,
With regards to the eymae taking summer heat, I really don't know. I've only had it for maybe 2 or 3 weeks (?). It missed the July heat wave. Nobody else outside minded, though. Even the ephippiata made a new pitcher or two. Granted, this was a mild year, and very few nights stayed above 70, even in July.
I do have a tank on the deck that I will put the more delicate ones in if it seems like the humidity is dropping too much....but I never cover it. I just leave a little water in the bottom to raise the humidty a trifle. It has worked like a charm so far.

Back