What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep. photoperiod

I have my neps in a separate terr. from the rest of my plants but I am currently only using one timer for both the nep and my temperate plants. I would like to start decreaseing the photoperiod for the plants that will need dormancy. I am currently running on a 15 hour photoperiod and I would like to get it down gradually to 8-10. Will this change in photoperiod be ok for the neps and other tropicals like D. capensis or should i just buy a separate timer?

I think it would be OK but I think it would be best to just buy a seperate timer.

what do you do the other 2 hours
smilie4.gif

Good question!
laugh.gif

Capslock

mines 14 hours on, but i'm considering making it 16 hours.

It won't kill your neps to just reduce their photo period but it will slow them down, almost as if they were in a greenhouse who's light was waning from fall to winter. Some species don't pitcher in the winter if the conditions change due to light and or temp (I don't think you mention which neps you have).  Since Neps do not need this light change - why slow down these already rather slow plants if you don't have to?

Timers are not expensive so I would leave the Neps as they are and just get a new timer for the plants who require a dormancy. Some of the more high end digital ones can be set on a grade to turn off 15 minutes earlier every night til they reach your ideal "short day" winter setting.
smile.gif

Back