What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For a beginner - plant or seeds?

Seeing Nepenthes seeds offered from time to time on the trading post I began to wonder... Does it really make sense for a beginner to try to grow these from seed of should you buy a plant, learn the ropes, and go from there?
Your opinions please.
Thanks!

well i would never grow nep seeds unless it was a new hybrid few people had or they were seeds i produced myself. in fact, i dont like growing any seed at all if i can get the plant. i'm getting some ventricosa seed just to accomplish the germination of nepenthes seeds, then i'm going to grow them out a little bit and give them away.

i'd definately go with a plant first. nep seeds can take a long time to germinate anyway. i'd start out with a nice beginner plant.

So what would be a good one to start with? I'm in NC and can grow outside during the summer and/or under lights.

well, i agree with justlikeapill when it comes to nep seeds and a couple other plants. it is easier to buy the plant them then to grow from seed becaue it takes so long and other things. but with some very vigorous plants like certain drosera (like D.Capensis) i prefer seed beacuse u can gets tons of plants in have them good sizes in only a few months
Just My Opinion
Hellz

you could get a cutting. ime, cuttings grow faster than plants from TC. usually. i guess its because they are older, even those they are just babies since they are technically the same plant as the mother.

hey, know what? if you send me money for shipping i'll give you two ventrata cuttings. they are really unrooted offshoots. i would give you more but i'm giving the others to someone else. these plants will be perfect you you to start on since they are almost bomb-proof. i would give you better stuff but it's the only nep i have extras of right now. pm me.

Back