What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jacquelineae

Well,
I just noticed that I am closing in on having my jacquelineae for a year! I know a while back that there was a thread where jacquelineae growers posted pics and guessed as to what colors their pitchers would be. I know jeremiah has a brilliant red similar to mine, and I believe josh's plant in more yellow/green, but I would love to hear updates on growing, what works for you, what doesn't, etc. I will put up some pics, but  my latest pitcher formed hanging in mid-air and is not a great shower of the typical coloration/size of my pitchers.  My best and biggest pitcher just blackened, which is odd, because some of my pitchers on the plant are going on 10 months old! This seems to be typical behavior, the pitchers age on their own accord. It doesn't have to do with feeding, because all of the pitchers are fed similarly. Let's hear some info and see some pics!!  
smile.gif

EDIT: Here are some pics of the big pitcher, unfortunately the quality is low, as they are before I got more skilled at photography...

Whole pitcher:

jacquelineae%20pitcher%20whole.jpg

Peristome:

jac%20peristome.jpg

EDIT: Yes, the peristome really is that shiny.

I'll get some pics of the whole plant as of today in a few minutes...
smile.gif
 Enjoy!

Nice plant for being only a year old is it a slow grower?

I find that it produces leaves at a moderate pace. Once the tendrils are fully dropped, they inflate within a couple of days. Then after inflated, the peristome and coloring up take another 2-3 days. I just went up to take pics, but the digicam is out of battery and I can't find the charger...
smile_h_32.gif
I managed to snap one of the plant with a 6 inch ruler (the plant is nearly exactly 6" diameter. Maybe I'll put that one up later.
smile.gif

smile.gif
 Nice color!

Here's another one.  Pot dia is 6"

jac.jpg

Wow! That pitcher is looking more mature than mine by perhaps 1-2 pitchers time. My plant seems a little bit bigger heightwise, but diameter is spot on... Did you perhaps repot and bury some of the old stem in the orchid bark? Also, nice bongso or carunculata or ovata! (whichever it is)  
smile_m_32.gif

Oh, man....My jacq sufferred a set back earlier this year. It has since recovered, but is only just inflating it's first pitcher since the recovery. Ironically, the unopenned pitcher is already bigger than the previous ones that it had before the fall.

WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
smile_h_32.gif
I want this plant in my room, but I dont want to risk such a beutiful and rare and expensive and hard to look after plant. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
smile_h_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Aug. 30 2004,9:01)]Oh, man....My jacq sufferred a set back earlier this year.  It has since recovered, but is only just inflating it's first pitcher since the recovery.  Ironically, the unopenned pitcher is already bigger than the previous ones that it had before the fall.
I know all about plants falling down
smile_l_32.gif

My big N. burbidgeae crashed down onto one of my N. sanguinea today!! Two plants for the price of one
mad.gif

The burbidgeae survived intact apart from being unpotted. The sanguinea had both its growing tips chopped off
smile_t_32.gif

The pain...

cheers

bill

DOH! Bill, Don't you HATE that? Ugh. Well, I guess you could try to root the lopped off growing tips... But it's going to be while before you have new pitchers either way.

And it always happens right after they start to grow REALLY well, right?

I do find that jacquelineae makes pretty big steps with every pitcher... Sometimes even doubles in pitcher size instantly! Any pictures of your new inflating pitcher?
smile.gif
It's always good to see a jacquelineae!
smile_m_32.gif

ack, i really want one of those too. the problem is that the only nursery that will ever sell them around me promises that IF he ever recieves it, the price will be the downpayment of a small house
smile_n_32.gif
. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ Aug. 30 2004,8:40)]Also, nice bongso or carunculata or ovata! (whichever it is)  
smile_m_32.gif
Yep, deliberately slipped that pitcher into the photo as a teaser.  It's Sumatran but not one of the three species you name....  Care to try again?

Zongyi, we are shipping to Canada, Glen Crosley, but N. jac isn't on our inventory right now. You could try Andreas Wistuba or perhaps Tony Paroubek might have some left. It's a great species to grow, even juvenile pitchers look amazing.

hello Rob. hehe, there are a few people waiting for the first wholesale dealer to have N. jac in stock so they can make it available to canada. maybe someday when i have the time to actually write an import permit. Zongyi

Hi, all.
Is the second pitcher a form of singalana?
Regards,
Tony.

Good point... If that isn't it, I have to go get the great: Nepenthes of Sumatra!!
smile_n_32.gif

Correct Tony, it is N. singalana so far as I can tell.

Nepenthes of Sumatra is a very good book IMO, quite a bit better than Charles' earlier work which was also good.

I thought maybe it was a spathulata that you put invisible tape around to constrict the diameter and then colored maroon......
smile_n_32.gif

LOL!

Come on, I know more people have jacquelineae! Where's Josh and Jeremiah?!
smile_m_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif

Hello

Here are a few photos I just took 9-1-04

Here is a nice pitcher
N_jac%20003.jpg

N_jac%20009.jpg

and the plant
N_jac%20015.jpg

hope you like them

thanks
-Jeremiah-