Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday nite foe toes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Machetes huh, well then how about these...

Borneo "parang"

Philippines Ifugo sword

(and they are sharp!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way cool pics and nice set-up, that flower head is starting to look good too! Sounds like it may have some great potential. Those swords are just scary looking. Nice to know you have some defense in case those Neps really start to take over.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How iron-ic(intentional pun) is it that someone named swords has a collection of swords?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I collect swords too. Not antique ones though.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords,
    I don't want to hog your thread here, but does your dining room look like this??
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/rlhirst/neps/lowland.jpg[/img]

Where did you get that Raja?!?! What did you do to it!?!? That is a showstopper!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] let me know if you ever want to trade cuttings..hehe

Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Wonderful pictures as always Josh! Please post a pic of that new raja pitcher when it opens...looks like it will be unbelievable! Quick question: throughout the course of your raja's development, did you notice if pitchers that formed while resting on compost were larger than pitchers produced from dangling tendrils? Once again, great pics!

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robin, no problem - I love seeing huge terrariums! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Yes, mine is similar to that except I don't have a bank of lights for the lower portion. I'm much too sloppy to be that daring. I just know I'd splash water all over those on the bottom and either electrocute myself or be replacing lights all the time! How do you avoid that?

I got that rajah as 2" seedling from our pal Tony P here in June of 2002. Now it's about 30" diameter. I wish the pitchers were bigger but perhaps when I can repot it (after buiklding a new HL chamber) it'll do better. There's some folks around here (Tony, Jeremiah...) who have six inch rajah pitchers (!!)and I'm jealous! Maybe this next one will be closer...
    When I was growing the young rajah I used a "lot" of Gro More Urea Free orchid fertilizer, about one 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water flushed through the pot every 2-4 weeks. Once it made decent feedable sized pitchers I pretty much only use feeder crickets from the reptile shop. Occasionally I will mist all the plants with the orchid fertilizer just to be sure they're getting all their vitamins and minerals.

As far as pitcher size created as suspended vs resting on the ground much of that argument MIGHT be made that it is simply due to the higher humidity when the pitcher rests on a moist surface but I can't say for sure yet. From now on it'll be unavoidable that the rajah pitchers are resting on other plants so if the pitchers begin to be dramatically larger from now on then I'll know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,
    Thanks for sharing your secret with me. I'm going to have to pick some of that stuff up!
    I have tried GH hydroponic fertilizer sporadically(sp?). I have been reading Tony's post about slow release fertilizer.... That sounds very intriguing! Hmmm. I guess the key is being consistant with feeding. I'm also going to show mine pictures of yours, Josh's, and Tony's as a motivation tool![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

As far as the lights... they are "moistureproof" T-8's with a gasket and a clear shell. I spray water right on 'em with no problems, and I am really happy with them. They also double as heating units since that is my lowland tank.

Ok, I have to give my 2 cents on pitcher size suspended vs resting on the ground. I think it's as simple as gravity...If the plant does not have to support the pitcher(resting on ground), it get's much larger than one it has to hold up..... That, and the higher humidity!

Robin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast