Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cantley's red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Did you ever decide on a name for the toothy one? I seem to remember "Green Maw" or...you can name it after "The Joker" from Batman fame, since it has green lips...

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    I think 'the Joker' had red lips, but green tinted hair.
    Tony and Rob,
    The pics are beautiful.
    Rob,
    Saw your post on the Digest about cultivars. You should have some truly incredible stuff that should definitely be registered cultivars.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep looking at these photos of pitchers, and they look soft.
    umm, makes me think little bit tougher then a rose petal.

are they supposed to be soft? or are they leathery? or hard?
    or rough?
    how are these pitchers supposed to feel? like the leave does?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob,

The cutting is still with me in it's plastic bag home. So far so good!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

Poo, I think you are right.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit late back to this thread.

Joe, Trent, we haven't yet dreamed up any name for that toothy guy. Something will spring to mind. Maybe just "Batman" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] We're going to be very choosy about which items we are going to name, they will have to be quite unique, don't want to end up as subject matter for a thread on a discussion group somewhere!

Charles Clarke once told me of a guy who got himself thrown out of the Royal Entomological society. He had discovered a new species of beetle with a large shiny black carapice. He gave it the species name "darth vaderii". The Society apparently hated him for it but there was nothing much they could do!

Need to name the William's Red and the Tricolor as cultivars I guess but shall have to think of a better name than Tricolor as it's not really three colors and it's not imaginative enough. Any suggestions anyone?
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harlequin?
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob,

Don't let a bunch of scientific wannabes put you off from registering your cultivars! The system isn't designed for scientists but rather growers, and despite the Anti-Tamlin crowd's protests the ICBN system was designed by rational minds to protect this very fact, and the CPN co-editors support and encourage anyones use of the system, as it should be. The Listserve is sophmoric and the self-imagined "dignitaries" to be found there should be firmly ignored for the loudmouthed trolls they are. Also, the Listserve is NOT the ICPS; it is a mutual admiration society. The editors of the CPN will certainly publish your cultivars which we all enjoy so much.

Just wait until I register Drosera 'Mattzanazz', sales will likely go through the roof! I have lots of advance orders, hee hee! Might even make the CPN cover considering the delightful time the coeditors there had with Matt regarding his own CPN publication.

The CPN is a wonderful Journal that continues to serve it's membership admirably, despite recent slurrs made by some high standing community members relative to their personal animosity towards me. Don't let such folk call the shots by intimidating you. Neither the ICBN Reg's or the editor's review in the ICPN were in any way deficient, as was suggested. The system is a good and simple tool so all the fluff about histories, field dynamics, location data, morphometric concerns, color charts, genetic heritage are just that if they don't serve to communicate the distinguishing feature. This can be done with a good photo and a few well chosen words, and is not the complex process that they would make it into.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast