What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New unidentified nep

Hi,
I just got this nep yesterday. I don't really know what it is though. The label says it's a nep hybrid. Kind of hard to tell what it is cause it's so small, only in a 3" pot. It had 2 dried out pitchers that were about 1" long. I trimmed them off. Do I need to wait till it grows some larger pitchers before I can identify it?

Heres some pics...

nep1RS.JPG

Heres a pic of the only pitcher on it...

nep%20pitcher1RS.JPG

This one will give you an idea how small it is...

nep%20pitcher2RS.JPG

looks like it might be ampulalria, or bicalcarata, i'm not sure though, can you post more pics, when the pitcher is fully developed

Yes it's way too small to make more than a very basic guess. Info on where you got it and any identifying labels with it might help to start narrowing the possibility down.

Guessing you got it a homecenter type place off the cp rack?

T

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Guessing you got it a homecenter type place off the cp rack?

Actually I got it at a nursery. One of the guys there is into CP's. This nep was hidden in a tray full of vft's. I was looking at the vft's and was about to walk away when I spotted it. I thought it was a ping at first. There was another much larger nep there that was in need of more light and humidity. it had no pitchers at all and I would have bought it if I had more $$$.

The label calls it Nepenthes spp. hybrid. and it's from Gubler Orchids.

Hello

I would say it is most likely a N. maxima hybrid. I have a few that are from Gubler (one that I have had for about 9 years) and they are all spotted with a nice red peristome.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

i was sent one that looks like this, except the whole plant is noticible hirsute.

yeah i got one from gublers at home depot, i traded it to Clint, and he said it looked like N x Holland

.480,nice calipers.The nep is nice to!

Jerry

That's my old pair. The really good ones are at work.
smile_m_32.gif

I have a micrometer that is accurate to 5 millionths of an inch!

So how long does it take for one of these pitchers to grow?

I would have guessed Judith Finn, based only on what shows up in these parts.
You have kept a Nep hybrid alive since you were seven, Jeremiah? That is truly amazing. My eight-and-a-half year old daughter would not have a chance, lol. She can't keep track of where her shoes are.

Cheers,

Joe

I think you're right, Joe. Hard to tell without pitchers, but the growth habit looks a lot like Judith Finn, which is widely available and frequently found at retail nurseries for a reasonable price.

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]She can't keep track of where her shoes are.

Gotta disagree with you there, Joe. Forgetting where her shoes are is more because she doesn't really care about them.

I STILL forget where I put stuff (shoes included).

But I NEVER forget anything about my plants....

I am only 5'8", but I have size 12 feet, so mine are kind of hard to miss............
smile_n_32.gif

Maybe I AM being too hard on her.

5'11" here with size 15 shoes. They are impossible top lose, just turn around you'll trip over them.....just ask my wife.
My 7 yr old daughter can't remember to feed herself evryday let alone something else.
It does look like my Judith Finn which is about the same size.

Joe

How long will it take for the pitcher to mature?

I don't know. I have heard some clones can actually be finicky and a little slow.

I dont know why I posted .480
confused.gif
I'm a machinist,I just dont screw up measurements at work. LOL

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm a machinist,I just dont screw up measurements at work. LOL

LOL I hear you there! You were off by .0035. Most of the stuff I do has a tolerance of  plus/minus .0001 or .0005.
I do alot of onesie twosie things and there is no margin for error.

I hear you,I do automotive machine work,so the tolerance does'nt have to be that close on certain things.

Jerry

Back