Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. tiveyi pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent,

Yes my plant is a cutting of Geoff's original. It came with upper pitchers on it but it's the lower pitchers that are so beautiful imo.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent,
    I think Phil and my plants are different. Mine was a seedling or tc when I got it..

Robin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost without a doubt it originated from Geoff Mansell. I know he has repeated the maxima x veitchii cross several times using superior parents.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I would say that Geoff Mansell has cornered the market on this hybrid. His best looking plants were the result of crossing his maxima highland dark form with the squat pink pitchered highland striped veitchii. When you buy plants from him that are seed grown you get all kinds of different things. You sometimes just don't know. That's why I always inquire when I make a purchase. If the plant is of decent size, which they usually are, and has maturish pitchers on it, I offer a little extra more money for them to hand cherry pick superior clones. They are, after all, in the business to make money. Of course you always know what you're getting when you buy cutings.

On another note to people seeking this plant. This hybrid is a giant among Nepenthes. Hybrid vigor is an understatement - eh Robin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] When well grown these plants don't stay small long. You can expect leaves over 20" long and 6-8" wide with enormous pitchers attached. If you are looking to grow this plant and you do not have a greenhouse then you should construct a very large growth chamber. You will not see the full potential of MANY Nepenthes until they are allowed to grow into very large plants. And when this plant decides to vine do like Robin says and WATCH OUT!! They do so with great vigor.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

Beautiful plant, the only question i have is whether this is in fact Tiveyi. N. tiveyi is a cross of maxima (superba) and Veitchii. Now is maxima dark the same a Maxima superba??

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely stunning!! Man, I would pay huge for this plant! If you don't mind my asking, how much did it set you back? You don't have to answer if you don't want to... I am just speechless! Incredible! I am currently looking at a tomomi x tiveyi, and after seeing that plant, I think I'm sold! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow both x Tiveyi and a couple of the maxima-dark x veitchii highland striped referred to here, and they are very similar of course, but slightly different in shape and colour of the peristome. Given that both come from various clones, there will be differences from the same cross from the seed mix. A friend had a couple of maxima-dark x veitchii highland striped he got from Geoff, and they show slight differences from each other and mine. They're all attractive hybrids, but do take up a lot of space (like veitchii once it gets going).

Gus, to answer your question, there is a bit of contraversy about maxima-superba and what it actually is. The couple of photos I've seen of it look like a reddy-brown variant of maxima, and it could be a lowland variant, but I'm not sure. The maxima-dark variant Geoff used in his cross is a dark chocolate highland variety.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hamish for your reply.

Then if the maxima dark is not the same as the superba variant then this plant could not possibly be called N X tiveyi

Gus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast