What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. tiveyi pic

Nice pic of my N. Tiveyi,

maxxvietch.jpg

Robin

Oh my goodness that is EXQUSITE! You have done a superb job with it. This is also my favorite hybrid in my collection.

Phil

Now that's a beauty!
smile_n_32.gif

Phil and Robin are both in California, and they both have this plant: Where do you get them in the US, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Robin
Wow that is a fantastic pitcher how about a couple of the whole plant(please).

Bye for now julian

wow........whats its parents? i need one of those.....................

maxima x veitchii

N. Tiveyi is a classic beauty. Some clones are more greenish with golden yellow-green peristomes. That's a nice red-striped clone! Also, they exhibit true hybrid vigor and can be grown both highland and lowland. I really like the vaulted neck too! Fantastic plant! Wouldn't mind having that cultivar myself!

Trent

Dang yo!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Looks almost good to eat!
smile_n_32.gif

Amori

I purchased my plant from Exotica. It was labeled as maxima dark x veitchii highland Sarawak. It looks to be the exact form type (color, shape, size, etc), but I don't know if it is the same clone as Robbin's plant. The peristome on my plant is flatter with very ruffled edges. When I received the plant it arrived with numerous pitchers on it so I immediately wrote to Geoff to express my intense excitement and he immediately removed the plant from sales. He said he felt it was now too good of a clone to sell off. He also said they have several hundred if not thousands of seed grown plants of maxima x veitchii highland striped, a different cross. So I placed another order but the plant that arrived has a golden green peristome with red stripes and a green pitcher with red spots. Definitely not the same but beautiful just the same.

If you ever order from Exotica either by yourself or through another merchant it helps to email them first and inquire what they have for sale that is not listed. They often have a few extra plants of special quality that they will sell you but you need to be specific with what you're looking for. You're gonna hate me for this but I just recently sold 7 rooted cuttings of this plant to a bunch of folks that came by the greenhouse. I would have offered them here first but I wasn't looking for trade material and we're prohibited from offering plants for sale.

Phil

Hey no worries Phil! Just because your excitement is the reason Geoff is not going to offer this plant to anyone else or the fact that you just unloaded all your rooted cuttings, nobody will get upset at you!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, though, you followed all the rules and there is no reason why someone can't sell their excess(just not here) especially when they don't want anything else.

Cheers,

Joe

you could atleast have hinted you might have cuttings availible
smile_n_32.gif
oh well im a lil bit short on room anyway. i need a green house.

Rattler

Hi Phil,
Where is it that you have this plant? Are you affiliated with a botanical garden or nursery?

Trent

Thanks for the compliments!
I found this guy at a local nep dealer, and I snatched him up. The tag said maxima x veitchii, but even when it was just a little plant, the colors were amazing! I'm afraid I don't know where it originated from
,and I don't have any pics of the whole plant..I had to cut it up, because it got huge.
Here is a better pic
140copy.jpg

Hope you like:)
Robin

Trent,

I'm not sure I understand your question? Where I have this plant is in my lowland greenhouse. It hated my int/hl greenhouse. How I obtained it is through a friend who has import permits and asked me if I wanted to order any plants through Exotica. We're both very serious collectors. Since a very large portion of my very best plants came through them via other growers I jumped at the chance. I had come across pictures of this clone back around 1999 and had recorded the information in a journal. I keep track of lots of information like this for future purposes. I wrote to the Mansel's in 2000 and they said they had a few left they could sell me. So I put them on the order and they sent them.

The reason they took the plant off the list is due to their lack of sufficient rooted stock, not entirely my response LOL! The plant had been actively selling so I figure I bought the last 2 of them. I gave the other to my friend. I haven't asked them recently if they had any more. They often sell lots of different things that they don't put on their website but you have to ask. They are VERY reasonable and sweet people. I've managed to get many plants this way.

I actually don't have rooted cuttings available at the moment. I also had to cut mine up because it got too big. Geoff tells me this clone can get 10"+ pitchers on it which is right on the money. Do you concur Robin?

Phil

I concur!
10"-12" easy! I have grown mine basically as an intermediate/highland, with no problems. Once they start vining though, watch out!
Wish I had a friend with import permits! lol
Robin

Robin and Phil,
It is truly a 'stand out' clone-so both of you have the same plant derived from cuttings originating from Geoff Mansell...?...
Trent

Hi Trent,

Yes my plant is a cutting of Geoff's original. It came with upper pitchers on it but it's the lower pitchers that are so beautiful imo.

Phil

Hi Trent,
I think Phil and my plants are different. Mine was a seedling or tc when I got it..

Robin
smile.gif

Almost without a doubt it originated from Geoff Mansell. I know he has repeated the maxima x veitchii cross several times using superior parents.

Trent

Yes, I would say that Geoff Mansell has cornered the market on this hybrid. His best looking plants were the result of crossing his maxima highland dark form with the squat pink pitchered highland striped veitchii. When you buy plants from him that are seed grown you get all kinds of different things. You sometimes just don't know. That's why I always inquire when I make a purchase. If the plant is of decent size, which they usually are, and has maturish pitchers on it, I offer a little extra more money for them to hand cherry pick superior clones. They are, after all, in the business to make money. Of course you always know what you're getting when you buy cutings.

On another note to people seeking this plant. This hybrid is a giant among Nepenthes. Hybrid vigor is an understatement - eh Robin  
smile_m_32.gif
When well grown these plants don't stay small long. You can expect leaves over 20" long and 6-8" wide with enormous pitchers attached. If you are looking to grow this plant and you do not have a greenhouse then you should construct a very large growth chamber. You will not see the full potential of MANY Nepenthes until they are allowed to grow into very large plants. And when this plant decides to vine do like Robin says and WATCH OUT!! They do so with great vigor.

Phil

Back