What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos

Nice pics Dustin! Sweet hamata! My little one (about 4" diameter plant) just suddenly went into a growth spurt as the late summer weather became a little cooler. It's lookin' PHAT now, but no where near yours! Man, I can't wait for it to start to vine like that.

Dustin,

Is that 48 F at night natural, or how low you cool your chamber?

Joe

Hi,

Dave, N. hamata is like that when small, you'll get steady growth, then like Emeril, BAM!
smile.gif

Joe, it's all natural, I wouldn't think of artifical cooling! It would be nice to have a chamber like our worm house at the bait shop, it has a huge cooling system and its constantly around 35F in there, pop N. villosa in there overnight (or N. aristolochioides) and you'd have a happy plant!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] (or N. aristolochioides)

You're kidding!? This plant needs that kind of cooling?? I've been growing mine as an intermediate-highlander (summer) and regular highlander (rest of the year, night temps in the high 50's) for over a year, and it's happy as a clam. Is this just one of those neps that really doesn't care all that much, or should I really strive to chill this sucker??

Nep G your plants/photos are always amazing! I love them...even the times I do not post they are still amazing! Can N. hamata be grown in a terrarium?

Dave, if the plant is happy, leave it. Mine only pitchers in the cool months like spring and fairly soon as fall rapidly approaches.

Travis, it can be cultivated in a terrarium but it will really take off and vine!

But I can do cuttings right?

Of course. You won't get to see uppers though!

BTW Dustin, can you take some pics of the lowers on that hamata? And what var. is that maxima? I assume its a high lander version.... hahaha

Few more

inermis_003.sized.jpg

N. inermis intermediate.
lowii_003.sized.jpg

N. lowii

WHAT THE HECK?
confused.gif
is that N. lowii normal???
that's not a n. lowii... just google search. you won't find one like that.
I had never seen a nep. with those hair thingies :p

Actually, the bristles under the lid are the trademark for lowii lower pitchers...

TAW- that is a trademark. cool huh? and the upper pitchers look WAY different. they are way prettier. i think they look like bagpipes, but hey thats me
smile.gif

Very nice! I like that N.inermis I like the funnel shape.:blues: But I realy like the color and bristles of the lowii.

Great!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

How big is the lowii pitcher?

holy cow! I must have N. lowii
smile.gif

nature just keeps on amazing me... every day I learn something amazing. the sad thing is I'll never know everything.
heck... If I could live forever I'd never get bored... by the time you're over with going arround the world and learning about nature, what you learn will be obsolete and you will find newer, cooler organisms
smile.gif

Answers in order:

Yup, N. lowii has the bristly trademark under the operculum. N. ephippiata its very close relative has those bristles also.

Madmax, The N. lowii pitcher measures around 3 inches (7.5 cm) tall.

Hi Dustin
Very nice indeed,counting down to uppers on the Lowii ehh
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now julian

Back