What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I said i wouldn't buy another until...

I had room but all I have to say is look what I found at my local Frank's Nursery! It cost me $30. However Frank's Nursury is about to go out of business so I am going to be heading back to check to see if the others are on discount. They had about 5-6 of equal size. It's a Nepenthes x Miranda and it is most definately a beautiful plant. Anyone know of how to take care of this? I can't find it in the Savage Garden.
Miranda.jpg

Whoops forgot about the size. My image viewer automatically shrinks everything down 50% I will edit my pic to make it smaller in a bit.

Looks like a very nice find.

Just treat it like a typical highlander I hear mirandas are very vigorous. Btw looks like a nice plant
smile.gif

Looks like what i got from here. They are very nice plants. I have had mine outside and it was staying alive but missing something.......hmmmm........pitchers, thats it. I finally put it in a tray of water and within a day BINGO, new tendrils began to swell and it is growing very nicely now. Mine came in a 8" pot with 12" or so pitchers, about 6 of them.
Nice find, man. We don't have a Franks here but i have heard several people stopping at their local Franks and finding nice plants. We need a Franks here. We have Mulhalls but they are very pricey, more of an upscale greenhouse for well-to-do folks.

Joe

Hi, mine is growing very well as a lowlander next to n.ampullaria so I'm surprised that pondboy said it grows well as a highlander too!

Perhaps it can grow under a wide temperature range and even pitchers at those temperatures!  
smile.gif

I am thinking it is a lowlander also.
Dustin has one and he is well-versed on all altitudes, I think.
What say you, Dustin?

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Sep. 13 2004,2:59)]Looks like what i got from here. They are very nice plants. I have had mine outside and it was staying alive but missing something.......hmmmm........pitchers, thats it. I finally put it in a tray of water and within a day BINGO, new tendrils began to swell and it is growing very nicely now. Mine came in a 8" pot with 12" or so pitchers, about 6 of them.
Nice find, man. We don't have a Franks here but i have heard several people stopping at their local Franks and finding nice plants. We need a Franks here. We have Mulhalls but they are very pricey, more of an upscale greenhouse for well-to-do folks.

Joe
so this type of nepenthes it is ok to use the tray method with?

its parents are highland and lowland(maxima and northiana) mine is growing fine as a lowlander next to my amp and gracilis and amp x bical. it also does fine as a intermediate and prolly as a highlander. i think i does like to have higher humidity to pitcher but it will survive in lower humidity.

Rattler

If you keep it in lowland conditions it would probably thrive more, and grow faster...

I wouldnt really reccomend the tray meathod, but lately I've been using it on my neps, since with all this hot dry weather, the pots dry up in 6 hours...

I beg to differ on true lowland conditions. I grow mine in true highland conditions and my results are quite obvious. N. "miranda" may grow just as well in lowland conditions, but it also thrives in cool humid conditions.

miranda_003.sized.jpg

miranda2.sized.jpg

miranda is easy to grow. it's like a fancy ventrata, if you ask me.

it's ventratas prettier sister
biggrin.gif

Well, Theres the pic of the miranda I've been asking you for since last year!
laugh.gif
What a giant
smile_k_ani_32.gif
What soil mix do you use on that baby?

Is that Nep. Reinwardtiana on the right of that pic? (I think I see eyes in them pitchers)

I am thinking that is a darn nice sanguinea to the right of Miranda.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Sep. 14 2004,8:02)]I am thinking that is a darn nice sanguinea to the right of Miranda.

Cheers,

Joe
I must have that...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Spec, soil mix is mainly peat moss with chopped sphagnum,perlite,coconut chips (very little a handful or two) and some time release fertilizer. Basically it was "leftovers" i just threw in the pot to use up.

Joe, correct! It's N. sanguinea red form from Genting!
smile.gif

sanguinea.JPG

Spectacular miranda and sanguinea Nep grac!

Nep G, Is that sanguinea clone from Tony? I've been putting off doing a mega order from him far too long now... must... spend all money on Neps
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back