What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh, man!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
Dang it! Something (either the cat, a bird or the *&^! painters) nipped the very tip off the newest leaf coming from my aristo. I'm not sure, but I think the proto-leaf (right word?) forming inside this newest leaf may also have been damaged.

Rats.
smile_h_32.gif

That may be the right word, I always call it the growing tip. I hate it when that happens. I have had about a 75% death ratio on plants arriving ,where that happened while shipping.
Good news is that should only be my bad luck, as many have said to treat these like a cutting and it "should" work out, though it will obviously set it back.

Cheers,

Joe

Dave,

Do what I do: plan on having the plants arrive misindentified, delayed in the mail, frozen, dired out, run over by trucks, moldy, rotting. Then once you plant the remains, expect aphids, mealy bug, thrips, scale, spider mites, whitefly, fungus gnats. Looks for algae, moss, liverworts, sunburn, drowning and fungus wilt to go at them. Expect thuunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricaines, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Just when it all is working out, look forward to squirrels, cats, birds, dogs, kids, wives and garbage persons to dump, tilt, knock, dig, break, steal and dump. Expect to neglect the plant when it is at its finest.

Then you won't be disappointed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 14 2004,12:08)]Dave,

Do what I do: plan on having the plants arrive misindentified, delayed in the mail, frozen, dired out, run over by trucks, moldy, rotting.  Then once you plant the remains, expect aphids, mealy bug, thrips, scale, spider mites, whitefly, fungus gnats.  Looks for algae, moss, liverworts, sunburn, drowning and fungus wilt to go at them.  Expect thuunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricaines, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.  Just when it all is working out, look forward to squirrels, cats, birds, dogs, kids, wives and garbage persons to dump, tilt, knock, dig, break, steal and dump.  Expect to neglect the plant when it is at its finest.

Then you won't be disappointed.
At least 50% of the things you list there have happened to me , Tamlin
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

you forgot mice.......ive found they have a taste for certain seedlings especially sensitive plant(Mimosa) seedlings. i have yet to grow this plant for more than a week do to stupid mice who track them down everytime i plant them.

Rattler

Well, actually, there are no volcanos or earthquakes here, but just let me finally get ahold of Drosera meristocaulis and see what happens!

Zoiks! I've only really received on shipment that was baddly beaten up, and two that were slightly beaten up. Only lost one plant of the 8 effected by those three incidents. Two are just now starting to grow (a year later), so all told, not bad.

My aristo was growing great, and still looks good. I almost didn't even notice the damage. I'm just bummed that there is going to a leaf (or two) that doesn't make a pitcher. This has actually been one of my more satifactory plants, pitchering and growing under any envionment I put it in (well, I haven't pushed it TOO much).

Also bummed because the aristo is going to the NECPS show, and now it's got dammage. blah.

Dude, I think you need to be more spontaneous about deciding which plant is going. Wasn't the big ventricosa going before the painters dumped stuff on it? Something is up here with your plants and this show...

Joe

Oh, I have a LOT of plants going...Those are just SOME of them....

Sorry to hear about your aristo Dave:(

Hi Tamlin:

It looks like you have described "the complete recycling guide for a nepenthes plant"
smile_n_32.gif

is there anything left at the end?

Gus

Hi Dave,

Something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago...I was getting ready for an LACPS meeting and I placed a potfull of Pinguicula gypsicola in flower and a 12in clay pot with 2 large Drosophyllum plants in the back of my car. After getting out of the driveway and making the first turn, I looked in the back of the car after hearing a thud and found that the Drosophyllum pot filled with sand had tipped over and smashed some of the delicate P.gypsicola. The flowers on the gypsicola were destroyed and every one of the plants were covered with sand. The roots of my Drosophyllum were exposed and the leaves were completely engulfed in sand. My plants are still recovering, but luckily none were lost!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dave,

Do what I do: plan on having the plants arrive misindentified, delayed in the mail, frozen, dired out, run over by trucks, moldy, rotting. Then once you plant the remains, expect aphids, mealy bug, thrips, scale, spider mites, whitefly, fungus gnats. Looks for algae, moss, liverworts, sunburn, drowning and fungus wilt to go at them. Expect thuunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricaines, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Just when it all is working out, look forward to squirrels, cats, birds, dogs, kids, wives and garbage persons to dump, tilt, knock, dig, break, steal and dump. Expect to neglect the plant when it is at its finest.

Then you won't be disappointed
'

gosh maybi i dont want neps if all that is to be expected

Lol. neps are easy (depending on species). Lol William just does this,I assume, so he never has any dissapointments.:p

Pondboy is right on the ball with that. I used to spend days mourning over what I lost, or what was doing poorly. Now I adopt a more laid back approach. Plants come, and plants go. On any given day the roster changes as to what thrives, what does nothing, and what is headed to the big bog in the sky. Disappointments have been hard and many, but ahhhhhh, for that one sweet moment when all looks perfect, happy, and thriving I gladly take the hard hits in stride!

CP2K:

NOT THE DROSOPHYLLUM! Ahhhh, the pain. In all my born days I have never so much as had a seed germinate. No, save your advice. I tried that. I think I have tried everything except using chicken noodle soup and dynamite. I figure Mom forgot to invite the old neighborhood hag to my christening. She showed up anyways, and poining a long cooked finger at me she intoned "Never will thy child Drosophyllum grow".

She also put the curse of the stalled checkout line on me. I can stop a checkout line that has been moving like a mercury/exlax cocktail through a roadrunner until it becomes a strata in the fossil record. I even proved it once to a friend by buying a single candy bar. I predicted the curse would manifest, and sure enough, I got the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
"Just a minute.........", says the clerk, reaching for the phone. My friend was amazed.

errrr, what were we talking about? Sorry. Its the ragweed pollen!

Lol. that ragweed is BAD! And then the anti`histamines react with your clonapin and make you drugged out
confused.gif

EEEP! Liverworts!!!
I have one growing in my pot of D.admirabillis.
I know a stream where all of the bank is covered with liverworts!

Lol my whole leento is covered with them! They realy look nice though.

what's wrong with liverworts? they're cool. I had been looking for them for a while. I even made them their own little "moss garden" (I know I know... they're not mosses, but I had some there too) ... they began getting all long and ugly from the perfect enviornment... then the sun came and killed them all.

Back