What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it? and how do i kill it?!

Does  any one know what this weblike stuff is?? I don't think its mites. It's some kind of fungus or something... and I hate it
mad.gif

Can anyone help me out here?
web.jpg

Thanks,
Robin

BLAHHH! I HAVE THIS IN MY CEPH POT! ARRRGH I HATE IT
mad.gif

Any help I would GREATLY appreciate... It cannot be killed
mad.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Yes it can Lol. Throw it in the burning burn barrel!!!!!! Lol. J\K.

It looks like mealy bugs infestation. Does it resemble spit kinda and tacky like a syrup? Spider mites have this kinda "spit" web. If it is them methyl alcohol gets rid of them but you must wipe it all away by hand and I am not sure how those plants would handle methyl alcohol. I get the same looking thing on my cactus's quite often and I remove it with that on a Q-tip since it is usually between spines.

Joe

AE, I have not tried fungicide, because I'm not sure if it is fungus, or what kind would kill it.
Joe,
I dont think it's S[pider mites. It's been watered in the picture. Normally its like thousand of grey/white short hairs. no mites in them.....
hmmm:(
Robin

Well for starters, can you just scrape the crud off?

Joe

I would say that it is a mold or fungus growing on something on the top of the pot... Think mold on cheese.
laugh.gif
Try scraping it all off, down a couple of inches... Then replace the soil over it. Remember, you wouldn't want to send it around to other growers.
smile_m_32.gif

I meant mealy bug not spider mite but if its hair like it wouldn't be mealy anyways I don't think.

Joe

ive tried scraping it off, fungicide, pesticide... IT DOESNT DIE! My ceph is like dead, and its just a pot of live LFS with a bunch of that... darn fungus stuff over the top

Hi, i used to get that stuff on some of my pots, sulfur solutions killed them all >;-D

Gus

Thanks gus!!! I've tried EVERYTHING but that!!! And just in time, too! Its in my mini bog garden, and its taking over the seedlings! (theres a few thousand in there right now, its like, a mat of sundews... I have no idea where they came from!)

I had that... It never really did any harm. I just scraped it off a couple of times and it never bothered me again. you can also try getting the plants out and fliping the soil so that the fungus is on the bottom.
I also noticed that on my wetter pots the fungus didn't grow, but in the dryer pots it did.

Could you try digging up you plants then taking the soil and sticking it in the microwave? Or perhaps if you have a pressure cooker that would work better no?

Thanks for the replies guys! I still hate it!
mad.gif
It mockes
me!! Those of you that have had it know what I mean?
I sprayed it with physan 20 today. We'll see how it likes that. If that doesn't work, I think I'll try Gus's sulfer idea.

Don't worry Lithopsman
smile_m_32.gif

Ok I'll let you guy's know how the physan or sulfer worked. I'f any body knows what this stuff is called, I would still be interested.

Robin

I was thinking I may recall it being called dust mold... That is most likely just a common horticulture name though... BTW, it will either be end of Sept. or Oct.
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Back