What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'miranda' update

ok in the year ive had my N. 'Miranda' its gone from a pitcherless foliage plant to huge 9" tall pitchers to THREE flower stalks and now its thrown another twist. i do believe i have an upper pitcher. its about 1/3 the size of the last one it produced before flowering. there were some smaller ones after flowering the first time but i thought that was do to energy being put into the flower stalk. although its smaller, for its size its peristrome is almost twice as wide as any previous pitcher and is atatched at the back. i love neps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rattler

Cool! I`m so happy for you! It`s always nice to have plants do well for you isn`t it? This year for me it was my S.purpureas and my S. x "Rose Witt" (totally bogus name.Lol.).

Pondboy, not to point fingers, but someone obviously had the plant named after them. How would you like it if someone said

"S. x Noah, what a queer name!"

I like the name Rose Witt...

Uh, I think he means "bogus" as in "made up", not as in "bad."

Capslock

ooooo....PB....just WAIT until Rose sees this post...YOU'RE DEAD!!! AHHHHH!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

The world of CP is full of "bogus" names, best defined as horticultural names assigned to plants that are not recognised by the IRA (International Registration Authority). According to the rules of naming horticultural plants, a description must be published, not only describing the plants, but also explaining why it differs from all others to make it unique. This applies to all plants except orchids. Only 'cultivars' are recognised concerning our beloved cp's. All these other names, including N. 'Miranda', are trade names. N. Miranda qualifies as a cultivar, but the propagator has not publish a description, so technically it is invalid.
As horticulturists, you can accept S. 'Rose Witt' or not. If a description has not been published, then it is invalid (perhaps a better word than bogus).

Trent

RUN! COPPER! *Siren wails, croud starts screaming, everyone runs away, breaking plates and all kinds of stuff in their way*

Lol @ ya`ll! I mean bogus as in I made it up as a nickname it`s a un-known hybrid I got from her last fall. It`s very nice I believe it may be a purp x rubra.

Back