Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring flowers

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    screw purebred ventricosa. what you really want to do is to let me send you some N. campanulata pollen so we can make a nice new hybrid and enter it in cultivation. right now, i have an n. rokko x campanulata and northiana x campanulata hybrid in the works. i URGE you to be my campanulata's baby mama!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think he should get purebreds, because it would produce more females of the species, and thus give us more females for possible hybridization, and to delight future Cp'rs yet unknown!
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, you can always cross half the flowers with my campanulata and half the flowers with another ventricosa. just be sure the label them! i dont want a thousand baby ventricosas on my hands [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aw... i knew i shoulda colleccted the pollen on my ventricosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]aw... i knew i shoulda colleccted the pollen on my ventricosa
    Not another one! I just heard from a local commercial grower that, only a few hours prior to me emailing him about my female Vent, said he'd cut off all his male flower spikes that he did not want to use this time around (including Truncata and Ventricosa 'squat'). I could have cried! I sent an urgent email back to see if any were actually open and the pollen salvageable but did not hear back yet.

I like the idea of keeping plants in their pure species where possible and desirable, but given how common this form is and that I assume there is not shortage of other females (here in Australia at least due to mass production), I'm more inclined to cross it with something a bit more interesting.

Clint's N. campanulata offer certainly sounds interesting.

Q. Given the appearance of the flower spike and its stage of development, anyone hazard a guess as to how long until the flowers actually start to open? Just trying to get an idea of how long I might have up my sleave to track down some suitable pollen.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I say keep it purebreed. I think natural seed grown vents would be more valuble then any hybride you make. Plus most vents being so commen and such are clones and cuttings. I think having some natural seed grown plants is WAY better. Anyone can make hybrides but have a pure species is way cooler! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for the cross, except I was hoping Clint would breed with my female vent so I could get some of the seed, but she is still resting from giving birth a month ago. - If anyone else still wants some purebred ventricosa seed, PM me your address. Not sure how much longer this stuff will remain viable.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast