Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring flowers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well each seed is geneticly distinct from its parent and not only enhancing the species genetic diversity in cultivation (many plants orininate from a single clone, wich means that if it goes extinct in the wild there is no way to reintroduce it)

and genetic variety will also provide more variartions and thus more possible bases for future crosses.

But to satisfy both your desires, polinate it half and half. Never know what will result from the cross!
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey steve, what can i say? i gotta get some lovin' while the gettin's good! aaron is in austrailia, and if we cant make a cross, then your my next bet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron,

In relation to your query as to how long the flower spike takes to develop, it can take a fair while, up to 4-6 weeks or more depending on the species - they can get really, really long. If you've even seen a truncata in flower, you know that the flower stem can get several feet in length. You'll know when it's starting to get ready to open because the flower head starts to expand - whilst it's still growing, the flower head is very compact, then elongates at the end.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hamish.

I have seen pic of some mightly long flower spikes so will be interesting to see how big this one gets.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a pumper season....I can now add a male N. alata ("striped" according to the Mansells) to the 'now flowering' list.

Actually, there is no flower to see just (still furled up in the leaf) but it's on the way in the next week or so.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the alata flowering Aaron! I hope you get lots of seeds and they sprout,grow into HUGE beutiful plants and grow to produce there own seed
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you could make an "alatricosa" heheh.

I would either purebreed or try an -interesting- cross
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

Here's the female N. ventricosa.

The flower stalk has grown to about 40cm.

You can also see some N. rafflesiana pitchers at the top, a more red form of N. ventricosa, N. maxima and pitcherless N. raff 'Singapore Giant' cutting (in the large green pot) at the back, and another female N. ventricosa on the right that is about to produce a flower.

Here's the flower:

The N. albomarginata x veitchii flower is coming along nicely, but the N. alata is still just threatening. I thought the flower would appear when the latest leaf unfurled, but it looks as though it's still inside another unfurled leaf.

Aaron.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast