Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N sanguinea

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm getting an N. sanguinea soon, and just wanted to know how it will fair in a lowland tank. summer temps are about 90 in the day, mid 80's at night. fall and winter temps are about mid-hogh 80 days, about 70 at night.

also, while i'm at it, what is the lowest minimum temp to let lowlanders get? for example, is 68 too low? i'm thinking 60 would be the lowest one can go safely but i just wanted to make sure.

thanks
    clint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Clint,

It kinda depends upon the form of N. sanguinea you're gonna get. The "orange" from Borneo Exotics is very easily grown in the conditions you describe. It's very similar to my "lowland/intermediate" chamber which does get down to 60-65 in coldest times of winter with no plants complaining. However the "Red" form from Borneo Exotics does not seem to do as well in these same conditions. I will someday untangle it's vine and move it to a new highland chamber and hope for more massive pitchers.

As far as how cold lowlanders can get that depends upon what you expect of them. The "true" lowlanders (amp, bical, mirabilis, raff, etc, most of those found under 1000m) will start to struggle if the temps get much below 70*F for any appreciable length of time. It slows their metabolism down and takes a good while to gain any momentum in growth back. They will often refuse to pitcher when it gets too cool, even if the light and humidity remain high.

Hope that helps!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks swords. i'll ask the person who's giving it to me what form it is (i pray to god it's orange! is orange more common? lets hope so for my sake)

and i can raise the temps up to 70 min., not a problem, just wanted to double check. thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the orange is quite common. it's actually more yellow, unless it gets really good sunlight, when it will turn all orange.
    Here's the orangest pitcher I've gotten under 400 W of metal halides

I've got one 15-17 cm upper on it which started out all green but is now just not as intensely colored from the one above. The uppers didn't form until the tendril could curl around the plastic grids on the wall:

It grew into a big meter + plant like this in one year after it arrived as a 6-8" plant last August. The red form grew almost as tall and also made a basal shoot in that time but the pitchers aren't as large so it my guess that it would like cooler temperatures. Oh yes, I've been able to contain both in 6" pots as well so that's nice! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,
    Over a meter? Sheesh. Mine just started to show major increases in leaf diameter, but I didn't realize it was going to need it's own chamber....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

I always thought of sanguinea as a highland/intermediate rather than a lowland intermediate. how many lowland/intermediates are there?

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding adaptability, i do believe this species is easier to grow than ventricosa in general terms.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gus and All,
    Living here in the south Florida lowlands, sanguinea is touchy. Ventricosa can sometimes be a bit touchy too. It all depends upon how high up the hill the plant originated.

Trent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast