Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrids you would like to see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veitchii x jaqueleniae

Ampuillaria x aristolochioides

Aristolochioides x Inermis >;-D [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rajah x veitchii x northiana x maxima x merriliana x ovata x burbidgea x rafflesiana giant x truncata highland x macrophylla
    this hybrid would probably be really hard to make.
    I also want to see talangensis x veitchii.
    Paradise found is paradise lost.
    -The Future of Life

Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?
    -Garth Nix

Je pense, donc je suis... je pense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`d like to see N.(raffsesiana giant red form x hamata) x (x predator) I think that would be a nice vigorous hybrid that gets big and with big teeth! Of course with hybrids you`ll never know.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drosera capensis x N. bicalcarata x dioneia red dragon

my idea would look somthing like a nep with tenticles coming out of the pitchers sides, long ones like the capensis. they can either eat insects thru there, or the nep can eat like birds and stuff thru the pitcher, since it will have more than 2 fangs, and the flap will close, with strenth, stab the victem and it will die, and fall right in the picher, it will close and eat it!...did i give a good visual?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have strong suspicions that most of the suggested hybrids would be very disappointing, if not plain ugly. Remember, few appealing traits come through strongly in hybrids. The only fairly consistent traits are veitchii's peristome, ampullaria's peristome, truncata's size and thorelii's (or what is commonly called that) red colouring. I know there has been much excitement about making hybrids with hamata, but the few hamata hybrids I've seen to date have been real duds.

Also remember that the more complex a hybrid is, generally the more nondescript it will be. Further, crosses between radically different plants can produce hideous results, if you've ever seen the x Tiveyi x aristolochioides hybrid you know what I'm talking about.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. Crossing two vastly different species frequently results in something ugly and distorted, lacking the distinctive traits of either. Breeding along certain lines will give positive results. Some complex hybrids can be distinctive, but it depends greatly on the cultivars used. I would also breed highland to lowland, because the resulting offspring usually exhibit great hybrid vigor, tolerating hot and cold extremes. I would like to see crosses like (rafflesiana x burbidgeae), or 'improve' on nature and remake hookeriana using red ampullaria x dark colored rafflesiana, for impressive sizerajah x northiana), or (rajah x truncata) would be excellent.
    Also, breeding pure species using selected clones could be very interesting. Look at what's already been done with thorelii. By breeding select clones of thorelii, attractive, smallish growing, intensely colored plants could be produced in only a few generations. Imagine what could be done with other species.
    Anyway, my two cents worth...

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree that it is easy to make a hodge podge of hybrids that are indistinct and hard to tell apart. I also think that it is premature to judge many of the new hybrids coming to market using some of the exotic looking species. Many will not show their true form until reasonably large and mature. In some cases they may change considerably when they finally start making upper pitchers. Keep in mind that they are also laying the groundwork for future crosses, which may enhance and bring out some of the 'lost' features.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 'Predator' was definitely a worthwhile cross. I would like to see (aristo x hookeriana) to retain the bulbous quality and the spotting...plus, it would grow in Florida [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Trent

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast