What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus or burned leaves

I purchased a N. ampullaria and shortly after I got it home and put it into my terrarium, several of the leaves turned brown.  Looking at older pictures of the plant before I got it home, these same leaves were green, although a bit 'crinkled' looking.  I'm wondering if it could be due to burning of the leaves (I had 4-40watt fluorescent tubes sitting directly on top of the glass lid of the terrarium, the top of the ampullaria was about 8 inches away) or a fungus (Savage Garden mentions something about a 'rusty' fungus which bothers Neps).  Any opinions?  A picture is at this site:

My Webpage

do youhave a picture of just the leaves that are brown? Thats an awesome plant by the way, already has basal shoots!

Sounds like shock to me. Many plants, particularly lowlanders, have a bit of a turn after they've been transported or repotted. Wait a couple of months and it should recover.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Tony: I just realized I put it in the 'General Discussions' forum at the moment I sent it! Sorry about that. Flip_Side_the_Pint: I will post a close-up picture of the leaves in a little bit, hopefully you could still help : ) And thanks for the comment, I bought the plant at the last NECPS meeting, everyone loved it. SydneyNeps: I believe it will recover in some time, there is evidence of pitcher growth. I'm keeping it under standard lowland conditions (per Savage Garden).

2004_0920012.JPG

Ha, it worked! Now I can post pictures! Okay, close-up coming soon...

Hey Stiffler,
I got an amp in the mail as the second ever shipment of neps in my collection (2 years ago +). It took a solid 10 months to start growing for me!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
However, now it's growing like gangbusters! You'll get to see it in Oct. (so long as I don't break it....).

Well, I'll just have to be patient it seems. It's worth it, I like his plant a lot. Here's a close up picture of the damaged leaves:

2004_0920013_2.jpg

Hi Michael -

Likely just shock from the trip, transplanting & all. Maybe in a month or so, give some of the traps small bugs or fish food pellets. Dave (the NECPS treasurer) has been very successful using Koi pellets for his neps. Maybe he could bring you some at the show.

It really looks great in that new pot by the way.

WildBill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (WildBill @ Sep. 21 2004,11:28)] Dave (the NECPS treasurer) has been very successful using Koi pellets for his neps.  Maybe he could bring you some at the show.
Mike, I'll bring you some of the koi pellets if you want to give them a try.

10 months shoalty? i must have been lucky it only took 3 months for mine to leave suspended animation.

Rattler

Dave: if you could bring some of those koi pellets I'll give them a try. Thanks for the offer! Bill: I'm glad you like the plant after I repotted it, I'm not sure it really needed repotted, it's just an 'artistic' habit of mine I guess to have the plants in a nice-looking pot.
Well, my plan is to just leave the plant alone in it's home, from what you all say, it'll recover
smile.gif

That is a really nice plant to just go out and purchase. I would poop my pants if I went to a nursery and saw any amp...none-the-less one like that.

Cheers,

Joe

Back