What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating nepenthes with pics!

schloaty,
Soil mix?  Temperature range? Lighting?

Caps,
Temperature range?  Lighting?

slamster1789,
Timeframe?  Setup?

Peter,
What was your setup that resulted in the mould?

Just interested as this is a really good chance, with so many people propagating the same seed, to see if there are any patterns in terms of germination.

Maybe everyone that is trying them could give a quick little rundown of what and how (and how many).

Aaron.

OK, my temps are cool. 60-63 overnight, and about 75-80 under the lights during the daytime. The 4-inch pot full of lfs is about 6 inches below 40-watt 48-inch fluorescent tubes. It's pretty bright - bright enough to grow my drosera there, too. They are open-air. No terrarium, no baggies, no cover.

Capslock

Aaron,
chopped LFS
Temp rage is actually lowland currently (no where else to put them, lol), but not extreem lowland.
ligthing: about 2 feet under a compact flour. fixture at 4400K. for 14 or 15 hours (?) a day.
Not real scientific, but heck, it worked!

AzNsUShi41
Oriental Veternerian

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
where can i get LFS?
I noticed you are from California...is long fiber sphagnum rare there?

Cheers,

Joe

well i asked yard birds , they say they got the same LFS but its called green moss, is that correct? or is jus SPmoss?

My seeds finally started germinating. Sorry I didn't keep exact records. I sowed them about two weeks after I sent the first batch out, so thats about 25 days. I started mine in chopped LFS in one of those seed starting trays you buy at home depot with the cover on. I left them in the kitchen garden window, so bright shade with no added lighting, temperature range 70 - 78 degree days, 65 - 70 degree nights.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Oct. 01 2004,1:46)]well i asked yard birds , they say they got the same LFS but its called green moss, is that correct? or is jus SPmoss?
Well green mosss is not the same as sphagnum and is usualy thought to be leathal to cps.

Congrats Dave and Caps! I hope mine work out as well:)

im jus using the green moss as for the germination, then ill transplant them

Ehh sounds pretty risky to me. I think people shoult try to grow more neps from seed instand of cutting myself

hey, i sowed them on the 9/22 and yes2day, 10/7 which is about 15days it sprouted. heres som pix
sprout01.jpg
sprout02.jpg

only two so far, but better then nothing,

i got green moss as my medium, but wen i heard it was leathal, i lost all hopes in anything germinating, i put like 3 kinds of seeds, duggin's nep, cobra lilly, and drosera, but i think this one is duggins seeds that germianted but who knos, tell me wat iti is guys?

im still waiting 4 more sprouts to germ, whish me more luck, im also geting som lfs from bonnie, and the others seeds are planted in peat so il still waiting, it was a bad idea to burry the seeds, who knows, imma newb, and i assume u can do that after watching a bunch of plant cartoon shows

oh well, ill b happy if i get atleast 10/alot of seeds to germ, thnx again duggins

Hate to say it but i dont think that is a nep seedling... I get seedlings like that all the time in my green moss in my dart frog vivarium. Only time will tell though. Did you see the seedpod attached to the leaves?

no, it way too small, i was jus happy i could get a germ, but if its not a nep, itll b a D.californica or Drosera

at how old should i transplant the seedlings? ryte now the stem looks like thread, should i take som of the moss along with it or strip it bare?

Are you sure thats green moss? It looks an awful lot like sphagnum:)) Looks like it may be sphagnum,was it labeled as green moss?

Hmmm, that sure does look like sphagnum. I don't think dosera produce those kinds of leaves, I know a particulary painful weed which does though. Keep your hopes up, it might be a D.californica, heard those are quite hard to germinate. How long since you planted the seeds?

Jason

Ps: Anyone know how long cobra lillies take to germinate?

I think about 2-4 weeks after stratification. That is IF they germinate,I have never personally been able to germinate them.

alot of ppl say that my germs look like weeds
smile_h_32.gif
but im still confident, ive planted them on the 9/22, the lady at yardbirds say that the greenmoss is lfs, but then my frends said that the lady was stupid and she was jus trying to make a quick buck, but im geting som real lfs from bonnie this week, som ill start more seeds

Back