What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating nepenthes with pics!

How is everyone, who's had germination so far, going with their new seedlings?

All still fine?
Growing?
Any losses?
Anything in general to report?

Aaron.

Mine are looking GREAT! I'll get pics soon.

-Jc

err, i had som germ, but ppl's mind think its weeds

Hey guys, Like I promised, here some update pictures!  At about 52 days old, they are sending out their first TEENY TINY pitchers!!

ENJOY...
<hr>
DSC00059.JPG

<HR>
DSC00060.JPG

<HR>
DSC00058.JPG

<HR>
DSC00061.JPG

<HR>

Pretty cool huh??

Any feedback would be great... is there absoloutly anything i could culture in the actual soil that would feed these tiny pitchers?  Springtails perhaps??  

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Florida
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

That's great Juan.

Awesome to see those first tiny pitchers developing.

I doubt there is anything you can add for the pitcher of that size to feed off, but hasn't Jan W (sp?) mentioned on numerous occasions that she uses Osmocote prills.

Personally though, I'd be nervous to change anything at this stage.  They look to be doing great so why change anything until they get bigger and stronger?  Maybe others have a suggestion.

My seeds have been down for a week now so all going well another 2 weeks until germination... fingers crossed.

Aaron.

Well day 19 today and no germination:( Hopefully they will in more time since they were a month older the juans. Btw very nice Juan:)

well, i threw in 3 diff kinds of seeds in one container, drosera, nep, and darl,

the seedlings looks odd, ppl say it looks like weeds, i lost my hopes and i agree, do u guys think so?
weed.jpg

i finally spotted 5 seeds sproutng they are neps i can see the little tringy seed husk. my first neps.:)
hopefully more will sprout soon

i finally spotted 5 seeds sproutng they are neps i can see the little tringy seed husk. my first neps.:)
hopefully more will sprout soon o i sowed them back in august

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Oct. 18 2004,8:18)]well, i threw in 3 diff kinds of seeds in one container, drosera, nep, and darl,

the seedlings looks odd, ppl say it looks like weeds, i lost my hopes and i agree, do u guys think so?
weed.jpg
Yep I`m sorry to say it but it`s a weed:( Might want to grow it anyhow though as some weeds can be very pretty:)

i plucked it and shredded it in anger
mad.gif

i tossed the whole thing, starting new seeds 4 diff types, its in much better condition (room temps and 90%+humidity, and in peat/sand/perlite

I think I have the record for slowest germination of Steve’s N. ventricosa seeds….

34 days to germination and only 2x at this stage.

Everyone else germinated at about 19 days, other than Steve who germinated at 25 days.  

One possible cause could be that my seeds where quite a bit older than the others that posted here.

They were also in transit for almost 2 weeks in getting to me so it is unknown what temps they may have experienced.

And, I was not overly thrilled with the performance of the soil mix I used compared to the one I used on my N. amp and N. mirabilis seeds.  It got some algae at one point which the other mix did not.

However, 2x is better than none though and I hope a few more may still make it.

Aaron.

Aaron, seed germination can be really variable, and I still have worked out why. The only species I can almost time my watch by is mirabilis, which every time I've planted a batch, I can guarantee they'll germinate in 28 days. I've had ventricosa seed, fresh from the pod, take 3 months to germinate wheres other lots have germinated in 4-6 weeks. I've had veitchii seed take 5 months to germinate (others have had it germinate in 6 weeks). Yet I've had real highland species like aristo, macrophylla and lowii germinate from between 3 - 8 weeks. Anamensis (viz. thorelii) has taken between 7 and 12 months to germinate.

My rule is, plant them and ignore them. If and when they germinate, keep an eye on them. After 15 months if nothing has happened, turf them out.

Don't do what a mate of mine did and think that a batch is a dud so plant another lot in the same container. He ended up with both lots germinating at the same time, and now he has to wait a year to work out which is which!

Hamish,

It certainly seems the case with germination periods.

I must admit I was not aware of this with my first attempt at N. ampullaria and N. gracilis a few months back, having given up after 8 weeks.  Although I now feel more confident they we no good I probably should have waited it out.

Interesting about the N. mirallis reliability.  Mine germinated at 28 days too!  The actual first sighting was day 27 and the last of the 3x germinations was at day 30.  Since then nothing else has germinated.

Where as my N. ampullaria which is under the identical conditions and planted on the same day also started germinating at about day 28 but even now at day 38 is still germinating new sprouts almost every day.

Aaron.

Back