What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating nepenthes with pics!

Hey guys, I thought I'd share these pictures with you. They are an N. Ventricosa hybrid from Steve (thanx again Steve!)
Anyhow they started germinating at 19 days, here tommorow makes one month old! They are planted very closely I put the seeds in rows on the surface so now I have tons of seedlings, should I transplant some and seperate them a bit? or should I wait a bit?
Here are some pics Enjoy!:
DSC00039.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

The Forest ;)

DSC00038.JPG

The Tray

DSC00040.JPG

Close up

-Juan-Carlos Munoz
Miami, Florida
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

Juan-Carlos,

Seeds can be delicate little things, so it's best not to disturb them if at all possible soon after germination. They don't look that cramped, so you can leave them be for a while, until they start to overgrow each other, which might take up to a year.

Hamish

Sounds good!

Thanks,

-Juan-Carlos

Great effort Juan.  You laid the seeds out one by one didn't you?
smile_m_32.gif

Did you provide any heat to the seed tray?  If so what temp?

Also, is that a peat/Perlite mix you used?

Aaron.

Hey Arron, Yes I painfully with tweezers laid each seed one by one, and very slightly with minute preasure pushed each seed down so that it would make contact with the soil. I kept the tray in my garage wich stays at about 75-82 and the tray is lit by 2- 40W flourecent full spectrum bulbs. I used Lamberts ready made peat mix, wich is basically Sphagnum peat and perlite, it has some type of mointure retainer in it, but regardless the tray was coverd 100% in 19 days I started seeing germination, i'd say about 85% germination rate so far thats just eyeballing it, but the rest wil probably germinate in a week or so. Looks like it was a very good batch of seeds! thanx again Steve!
smile.gif
Also The seeds where sown VERY fresh a couple days old.

-Juan-Carlos

These are actually my First Nepenthes seeds attempt! Guess I did Ok for a first time
biggrin.gif
LOL!

-Juan-Carlos

Wow Juan. You have a passion, that is for sure. Great job!

Joe

Technically it is not a hybrid, just two different forms of ventricosa. Mine still have not germinated, but i didn't sow them right away. I thought I saw a spot of green yesterday. Nice to see them growing so well for you. Anyone else have theirs sprout yet?

Ha ha thanks! Ah ok Steve good to know its the red with green ventricosa right?

-Juan-Carlos

Cool! Make sure to post pics when they have pitchers:;): Steve when will the seeds be shipped?

Steve,
I observed a few sprouts last night! That was 9/23, I sowed on 9/04...so 19 days for me, too. I hope to see more and more sprouts over the next couple of days...I think I counted 5 or 10 so far.
smile.gif

Give it a week or two they didnt all germinate at once for me.

-Juan-Carlos

id either do it now, or wait a long time, the reason is that now they have only a few roots, so it could be great, or bad

Woohoo! I now have sprouts as well!

My method is probably the slackest of all of yours. I grabbed some lfs and put it into 4 inch pots and just sprinkled the seed right on top. Then I put the pots into 1/4inch of water and put them under fluorescent tubes with a bunch of my drosera. I looked last night and I have a bunch of sprouts! Neat! I've never grown neps from seed before.

I have a pic or two, but can't upload pics right now. ??

Capslock

Nep_sprouts_2.sized.jpg
Nep_sprouts_1.sized.jpg

There they are! I'd guess I saw 9 or 10 sprouts total.

Capslock

Edit: Photos should be fixed. Album was renamed.

Well, JC was certainly right! Holy moly. Went from 5 or so sprouts to about 25, and MANY more seeds have that little green nubbin that is the beginning of a sprout. NICE!

Mine are infected with mold... I have a second back up batch though.

Back