What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Score!

I was in the nursery again today and my fiance spotted this. I had to buy it, you know?
It looks like N. ventrata.
The price was right too....only $20. Looks like they just got it in too, nice and fresh, no dried pitchers or nuthin.
new%20big%20nep%201%20rs.JPG

The plant is about 10 inches high and has 2 basal shoots growing out of it. The leaves/petioles are 12 inches long, not including the tendrils and pitchers. The largest pitcher is about 6 inches long.
new%20big%20nep%20pitcher%201%20rs.JPG

awesome1 i just picked up either a N. Bicalcarata, or an N. Ampullaria for 5 bucks at home depot, sadly i didnt have enough money to save the others

Nice buy!Nobody around here has them(Walmart or Lowes) just over priced common vft.

Jerry

CNCreffer:
Nice ventrata.

KCC: How do you know the plant is an amp or bical? Never seen anything like that at a home improvement store...
confused.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah, I seriously doubt that it is a bical or ampullaria... just probably some immature pitchers that look like other plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N. Bicalcarata, or an N. Ampullaria for 5 bucks at home depot
I'll bet it's from Gubler's or Nurseryman's Exchange. Nurseryman's Exchange is the supplier who labels everything as a ''cobra lily" and Gubler's sells unlabeled hybrid neps. I have a "N.x Gubler" and am waiting for a pitcher on it to grow out before I can I.D. it.

Heres a pic of the tag that came with the plant. It came from the "cobra lily" people. At least it wasn't labeled as a cobra lily.
Front view...
plant%20tag%20front%20RS.JPG

Now look at the back side. Pay attention to the continuing care instructions...they must think it really is a temperate plant.
plant%20tag%20back%20rs.JPG

LOL! I never knew about that 40 degree winter dormancy for my neps! I think I'll give that a try. Or not.

Capslock
laugh.gif

Hey! I just picked up five of those that the local grocery store had marked down to $4. They are smaller than yours, but look just like the tag. They also had Judith Hindle Sarracenia. I was leaning towards a pure bred ventricosa, as I was thinking they all came from Agristarts(like Judith Hindle), but your mature one is definitely a ventrata, so I guess mine probably are too.
Thanks for the out-of-the-way help, lol!

Cheers,

Joe

Very nice! $20 aint bad at all!
smile.gif
Wow just goes to show you how ignorant those mass market plant sales people can be!

is strange though, those mass market plant people (heh I like that term I'l use probly some more) obviously can grow the plants somewhat "ok" if they get to the public nursery in that condition. yet thier care instructions are vague and deceptivly simple....

Thats one of the reasons people think they are hard to keep (them not us) because they follow the provided instructions and the plant slowly declines....

Yes it is sad that the tags say to give the plant the wrong growing conditions. Way more people would probably be into cps if they gave proper info,because a plant dieing causes disapointment wich leads to discouragement and finnaly they just despair and stop trying:(

Back