What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.bicalcarata (n.sarawak)

Cindy

Staff member
A proud mummy I am...
smile_r_32.gif

Step-by-step:

bical_new_pitcher_rs.jpg

bical_pitcher%20forming1_rs.jpg

bicalcarata3_rs.jpg

Hi cindy,

nice looking bicalcarata. Looks like the orange x red hybrid ;): Are the teeth supposed to be crossed like that? What clone is it? or was it grown from seed?
How many weeks did it take to reach from the first photo to the last photo?

Christian:

Very nice pics, "Mum!" And now the fun begins: pacifiers, car seats, high chairs, playpens, paper products, broken up sleep,.....
smile_m_32.gif

Hmmm...looks like you need to have an Orthodontist take a look at those teeth...braces perhaps?  
laugh.gif

Very nice Cindy. I will have to give this species a go sometime(maybe I don`t know I don`t like it`s temp requierments). I like how you did the step by step very nice! Those crossed teeth are kinda weird,they realy reminds me of snake fangs though *shudders*

Very nice closeups! I can almost feel the hairs! That's gonna be a good one.

Don't worry, the teeth should straighten themselves out on they're own.
smile.gif

Robin

I can tell adolescence is gonna be rough period!
smile_m_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif
Oh no, I wouldn't have the heart to put braces on it...but it's been like that for a week and the teeth's still crossed...they are really sharp and hard though, hehehe...

MadAbboutCPs:
I didn't quite notice how long it took to balloon out but I guess it should be about a week and a half. First-time mummies do get lost in time, you know.
smile_m_32.gif
It came as a potted plant and it's the first time it pitchered for me eversince I bought it two year ago.

Did you change its conditions somehow?

My bical of 1.5 yrs also began pitchering last month. (see my earlier thread)
I guess the plant need to accimilate to our growing conditions before they actually start to pitcher.
BTW, i mist them twice a day.

Wow 2 years thats a long time to wait!

It seems the lid did not full fluxuate to it's proper form, hence the crossed teeth. It also seems that the pitcher itself did not balloon fully.

I have not grown Bicalcarata in a long time so I forgot if the ballooning process of the pitcher stalls somewhat like that of Truncata, perhaps the conditions were changed? That could've installed shock on the plant and haulted the proper forming of the pitcher.

Either way, you make Bicalcarata look even more gorgeous than it already is.

Excellent plant.

My baby-bicals (about one year old) started pitchering immediately after moving them from tropical outdoors (partialy shaded through vines) to a shade house. Now every leaf of every plant pitchers reliably. No high chair needed
smile_m_32.gif

I had it two years ago on a windowsill with only the morning sun, 7-10am. Then recently I moved and is now growing it on a balcony facing north, bright throughout the day with shade cloth.

leafedwellsofwater is right. Right after I took the 3rd photo, the weather suddenly turned cooler and there wasn't very much light for a few days. 10-hr sunny days aren't going to around since it's already October.

I like its velvety feel and look.
biggrin.gif

Hmn... interesting. I moved my bical to shadier conditions because it was getting burnt. Looks like I should invest in some shade cloth. Cindy, do you find the need to mist your plant at all?

colin, I don't mist it the plant. It is in a very crowded area
with other neps...I think that is helpful in keeping the humidity around it. The shade cloth also works to keep the humidity in as my balcony can be very windy.

Back