Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My one plant of 2004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to almost no space left I only let myself get one new plant this year, N. talangensis. It's from Borneo Exotics via Tony, came today and is primo about 5 - 5.5 cm across! Thanks man! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

It has been left in the large wad of shipping moss and simply packed it into a 4" pot with some leftover rapid draining, inorganic bonsai soil mix. Let's see: large sand grit, fine bark, charcoal, maybe some fine lava chips. Should help aproximate a clump of moss on a tree side. I've hung it on my plastic grid like the N. inermis and macfarlanei who seem to love this positioning close to the light, quickly draining, drying
    Hopefully I'll have some neat pitcher pictures to show later this winter!

Anyone else have one older than mine, maybe with pics to show off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine today too! Should see some color in the next couple of pitchers, how about you? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fine selection Gentlemen!
    good luck with it.
    Swords, thank's for describing your mounting technique... Don't suppose you have a pic of your new plant mounted?
    Thanks,
    Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not of the new guy (ony a juvenile pitcher or two) but here's how the N. inermis grows and the other currently small epiphytes.
    old pics:

latest photo from spring/summer

The inermis is now about a meter long with 2 large basal shoots begining to make intermediates. still in the 4" orchid net pot I started the seedling in (again, from Tony). [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: the soil is kept in the pot by "sewing" some fishing line over the surafce in an "#" pattern with the plant in the middle opening.
    the net screening is 1" x 1" plastic poultry netting hanging hook is my friend the jumbo paperclip. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Josh, have you ever tried using the mesh bags you buy onions/potatos in to grow the ephitic neps?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords:

What a fantastic idea! I shall immediately copy this creative, space-saving cultivation technique. This kinda reminds me of the main plot component of "Purloined Letter", that is to say, this solution has always been in plain sight for me (I grow some pleurothallids in net pots). I have never grown neps in baskets, but I think my preferred growing medium (equal parts NZ sphagnum, shredded treefern & oak charcoal chips) is water-retentive enough for this to work very well.

Your N. inermis look great. I have one that is just emerging from prolonged juvenile lethargy, and popping these curious-shaped lower pitchers every month or so. Once they get going, they appear to really smoke.

Congrats also on your new acquisition. One of the more elegant and colorful Sumatrans. Had a very small one from Wistuba, promptly killed it - I think we all know the drill...

SJ

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personaly use the nylon shade cloth of least shading, I think the openings are like 1/8" and stapled in place. I mount on to wood though. I have been very curious to get inermis or lowii. I currently have 'Judith Finn' but thats not an epiphyte, however it is growing along - not pitchering though. (I know my humidity is too low here, very odd summer here)

Anyway, I await the day when I have so many I must chose carefully. Nice plant to have Josh.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, thanks for the pics, and detailed description ( down to the fishing line technique!).... Very helpfull for those of us with "space" issues [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast