Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malesiana inermis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting points. Jebb and Cheek in Flora Malesiana mention that N. inermis and bongso grow in proximity to each other. This is the first batch of N. inermis I have grown from Malesiana so we will see what they look like in a couple months. All my others have been from Wistuba. While these are generally green they can get some red flush in the lower pitchers. Doesn't sound like what your describing on the other plants though, Hamish. Natural hybrids do seem to pop up in the lab fairly often. Malesiana also keep many clones in culture when they can. I have been told there are often a dozen or more different clones for many of their species. So odds there might be a hybrid are even more likely.

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting exchange.

My sole N. inermis is from Andreas Wistuba and the larger lowers are also beginning to show the red "flush" on the pitchers around the point of lid attachment that Tony Paroubek alludes to in the previous post. Otherwise they are dead ringers for the lowers illustrated in Clarke's Sumatra book - clearly there is some color variability in this sp., or perhaps the latent anthocyanins are expressed by exposure to brilliant sunlight (as in other "colored" Neps).

Brgds,
    SJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that I would point out, is on some matters, Charles Clarke would prefer the taxonomists to make the call.
    Did anyone see the thread about the Nepenthes in Thailand? I sent that to charles to check out, and he thought Jan Schlauer would be a better choice to show them to. I actually sent them to Jan first anyway. Jan told me that the real N. thorelii was not grown by anyone that he knew of. The real one looks more like N. rafflesiana than anything else. these plant s have that look to them. Now whether these plants are a hybrid between mirabilis and rafflesiana or a different plant, I don't know. Jan was not convinced the plants were from the wild and not nursery grown.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you've opened a can of worms Joe ... thorelii. I just bury my head in the sand on that one, it's way too hard for my puny mind. The situation is so messy from different plants from Indo-China being grown as thorelii, and probably little or no real information of where they were collection. Plus, as you mention, nursery grown stuff, which could be crosses of different variants and/or species. I note Marcello Catalano has boldly stepped into this area.

I would love for someone to sort it all out. Is Jan brave enough to take up the challenge??
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

As the saga for finding out why N. inermis from malesiana has that purple tinge, i have some very interesting information and i am grateful to personal communication of a personal communications from Chi'en who was keen to provide:

He told me that both N. inermis and N. bongso grow on G. Talang and this is the mountain where the alledged MT's seed originated from. They also grow together on G. Gadut,and he has visited this mountain with Charles so he knows he can verify this fact. In most places it seems that N. inermis grows at a slightly higher elevation than N. bongso, but it is of course still possible for hybrids to occur.
    The purplish hybrids are pretty much a sure fire-bet N. inermis x bongso, according to him, since the only other hybrid parents could be N. pectinata or N. talangensis which it doesn't seem to have the characteristics of.

These are the images of the alledged hybrid
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/agustinfranco/nepenthes%20pics/inxbong.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/agustinfranco/nepenthes%20pics/inxbongleaf.jpg[/img]

If anybody has any more questions, please PM.

Thanks

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that would appear to answer that question, thanks Gus. The uppers will hopefully lose the unattractive (in my view) coloration as bongso uppers are generally pure green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gus for relaying my reply. Sorry for being so late in getting onto this thread! Growers might also want to note that although Malesiana usually propagates many clones of one species, in the case of N. inermis we were only lucky enough to have one seedling germinate in vitro, so all these plants should be genetically identical. Variation seen in the color of young plants is probably due to subtle environmental differences or plant stress.

Best regards,
    Ch'ien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all of Malesiana's inermis are actually inermis x bongso

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast