What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malesiana inermis

Hi all:

As the saga for finding out why N. inermis from malesiana has that purple tinge, i have some very interesting information and i am grateful to personal communication of a personal communications from Chi'en who was keen to provide:

He told me that both N. inermis and N. bongso grow on G. Talang and this is the mountain where the alledged MT's seed originated from. They also grow together on G. Gadut,and he has visited this mountain with Charles so he knows he can verify this fact. In most places it seems that N. inermis grows at a slightly higher elevation than N. bongso, but it is of course still possible for hybrids to occur.
The purplish hybrids are pretty much a sure fire-bet N. inermis x bongso, according to him, since the only other hybrid parents could be N. pectinata or N. talangensis which it doesn't seem to have the characteristics of.

These are the images of the alledged hybrid
inxbong.jpg

inxbongleaf.jpg

If anybody has any more questions, please PM.

Thanks

Gus

Well that would appear to answer that question, thanks Gus. The uppers will hopefully lose the unattractive (in my view) coloration as bongso uppers are generally pure green.

Thanks Gus for relaying my reply. Sorry for being so late in getting onto this thread! Growers might also want to note that although Malesiana usually propagates many clones of one species, in the case of N. inermis we were only lucky enough to have one seedling germinate in vitro, so all these plants should be genetically identical. Variation seen in the color of young plants is probably due to subtle environmental differences or plant stress.

Best regards,
Ch'ien

So all of Malesiana's inermis are actually inermis x bongso???

Hamish:

You are welcome. Yes, it looks like all the malesiana inermis are in fact the inermis X bongso.

Gus

Still a very nice plant. This has been a very interesting and enjoyable thread! I love this sorta talk! I might not know much,yet,but this is a way to find out stuff! I still beleive growing the plants will give you alot more ability to identify them then just looking at pictures and reading though. I mean when you grow a plant you see it and it`s growth pattern and imprint on your mind the id of the plant with that and this will give you better judgement on id`ing plants IMO.

Back