Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the most expensive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what was the deal with campanulata? Is just every where now? Doesn't have that rarity value anymore?
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short and sweet version.

N. campanulata went from $120 a plant to $5 in the span of about 6-8 months. Alot of hobbyists while willing to pay alot initially felt burned when they saw the price drop through the floor. Alot of nursery owners stocked up at the initial price only to find that the guy down the street was selling for 1/3 the price and making a profit a few weeks later, and ended up losing a ton of money because his inventory cost twice what the guy down the street was selling them for.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony & friends:

My two cents on N. campanulata.

I stood on the sidelines as an interested observer during the rapid price collapse on this plant. My take on it is that the initial buzz around it was far greater than the real demand, and that once the consumer perception about it shifted from "ultra-rare" to "abundant", and the stamp collector types all had it, the market was both saturated and faced with an over abundance of a rather plain-looking pitcher plant. I also think that many of the hard core Nep collectors had an inside track (a "private placement" or "pre-IPO" if you will) to acquiring it well before it was formally released and never had to step up to the plate and pony up full retail. I am, of course, sorry that you and others got burned.

I will note that spp. like N. hamata have dropped from the US$ 160.00 per plant (FOB Borneo) that I paid in 1998 to forty-five bucks now, yet I doubt that anyone who acquired them six or eight years ago feels in any way cheated. You are clearly better informed than I, yet I believe that the N. campanulata case stems from a misunderstanding as to how much high-end demand there was for this plant. I doubt that there will be a second case study like this.

BTW - I never did buy one.

SJ

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wowie....

i dont really think campanulata is impressive, it's just cute [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a campanulata about half-way down the spiral. At first I was ticked-off that the price dropped so rapidly, but have no hard feelings anymore (of course I did not have a table full of them like the re-sellers). I have really enjoyed it and think it is a real gem with its odd pitchers. Just remember not too long ago it was considered extinct and now almost anyone can care for one. I assume the news of its rediscovery was primarily why it was priced as highly at first. Now, if we can just get an all-red campanulata it can start all over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

I really enjoy reading these history lessons, because in Australia until a year or so, people in local carnivorous plant societies were very impressed to see a N. campanulata, when i showed one around. Even now, it is not so common in this country for quarantine reasons, of course, with the exception of ex-vitro specimens.

One gentleman told me that he even got malaria looking for this plant many years ago in the jungle, but he could not find it. Thus, he was so emotional when i saw the specimen i had
    brought with me.

In other words ladies and gentlemen, any excess campanulatas are still very much welcome in australia.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ Oct. 01 2004,5:19)]Robin, might it be...
    Dare I speak it?! The ever elusive.
    Nepenthes tenuis! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Hi,

the price range for a N. tenuis in Germany is 120 to 180 depending on where you buy them. This species isn't in TC so all plants are grown from cuttings up to now.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it you are saying tenuis is available from Wistuba for a mere $130-$190 USD?! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] I am inferring wistuba on the basis you said Germany. If you wouldn't mind, please send me a PM with more details, because this is a stunning plant!
    I am back..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast