What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New variety of n. hamata

• Thread starter Ch'ien Lee
  • Start date
Hi all:

I was just wondering, i was not aware that N. tentaculata was also found in Sulawesi?. As far as i knew, it was a Bornean species!. Please someone, let me see the light!

Thanks

Gus

Hi,

N. tentaculata also occurs on Sulawesi. It looks a little bit like N. hamata without teeth.  
smile_m_32.gif

You can see a picture on my site.

Jan

Awe inspiring Chi'en! That photo made my day! I've grown N. hamata to maturity.....now on to aquring this one!
smile.gif

Uh oh, another "holy grail" plant!
biggrin.gif

WOW! Chi'en that is absolutely amazeing! This looks like what you`d get if you crossed a gerbil with a N.hamata:p But seriousley would this even be N.hamata? I mean this is so different from what we normally see as N.hamata that it would seem,to me at least,that it would warrent diffrent classifacation,at least sub-specific. Does this new plant grow in low humidity areas? As those hairs could come in handy in a low humidity area.:)

Chi'en,
Beautiful pictures and great specimen. I hope it will be cultivated in the near future, maybe by then I'll have a highland greenhouse
smile_m_32.gif

The fur and teeth really have a villos-sek appearence. So amazing
Thanks for the pic....anymore of that plant and/or other highlanders in habitat?
David

Hi Chi'en
What an amazing plant,lovely photo.

bye for now julian

Another hamata to add to the list.

Ch'ien:

Great to see you posting to this list. I'll stand at the end of the line here to thank you for sharing a beautiful photo of an amazing plant.

"Step aside, Nepenthes edwardsiana!"

Tomentose epiphytes in this part of the world (Central America) are often associated with cold, wet environments. I also note that a lot of the "hirsute" Neps appear to be alpine-types. Does this form of N. hamata occur at a significantly higher elevation than the commonly cultivated form?

BTW - another recent photo of a "reddish" clone posted on this forum, from Andreas Wistuba I believe, looks very much like it might be the intergrade between this plant and the black/purple-spotted forms.

Brgds,

SJ

could it be a subspecies? that seems just too different. if s. purpurea can have subspecies, I say this one can too.

Sweet mother of all that is holy.

I agree on the "Critters" comment someone mentioned early.

Critters meets Body Snatchers.

Wow.

That theory almost makes too much sense to be true. How big is that pitcher, Chi? If that variant can get to the size of a Rajah then dear god, good-bye Rajah, hello Hamata "Bear Claw"(i thought it up myself, :p).

It makes cultivated Hamatas look tamed, and well, I never thought I would say that...ever. That is the ideal Nepenthes, atleast for me. The size of the mouth on that pitcher is overwhelming and the upper pitcher are orange and not green!?

May God have mercy on us all.

Now I've seen everything except a blue Nepenthes or blue carnivorous plant in general(flowers do not count).

Back