What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New variety of n. hamata

• Thread starter Ch'ien Lee
  • Start date
Hi All,

Thought people might be interested to see this stunning new variety of N. hamata which I recently photographed in Sulawesi.  It comes from a mountain quite far away from the type locality of N. hamata and shows that this species has a good bit of geographical variation throughout its range.

nep-ham1.jpg

Compared with the variety from Gunung Lumut (which is probably the source of all the plants currently in cultivation?), the pitchers of this new form are more robust and entirely red with a dense coating of rusty brown hairs.  Also, the bristles on the lid are not as numerous nor branched.  In all other vegetative respects it matches N. hamata very well.

Best regards,
Ch'ien

Wow Chi'en, that is an absolutely stunning variant, and your photography is superb, as usual. Were there any uppers around when you found this plant?

OH MY GOD!!!!!! You've got to be kidding me. It looks like what one would expect the hybrid cross edwardsiana x hamata would look like. Chien you never stop to amaze us. How absolutely breathtaking. You must have been so elated to have come across that. One can only imagine. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Now I have a new favorite Nepenthes.

Phil

Wow that is amazing!! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photo.

-Jeremiah-

Stunning indeed Ch'ien!!

Was there much variation within this new form?

Tony

Superb! Are there any plans to introduce this variety to
cultivation? I surely hope so!

Thanks for sharing this information!

fabulous!

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
 I bet this one beats the most expensive Nepenthes now (If they go into cultivation)! LOL

I have never seen a Nepenthes with that much hair on the pitchers! They should name it N. Hamata "Fuzzy"

WOW! Absolutely stunning! Are you going to submit the new type location data to whoever currently has the species named (Jebb and Cheek?)? That is a stunning plant, and should be put into cultivation as soon as possible!
smile.gif

I'm shaking.

Capslock

Hi Chi'en:

it is an honour to have you in the forums. welcome.

Now let's get back to business. Where did you find that beauty?. How are you sure it is not a hybrid?. It does not matter anyway, hybrid or not, it is breathtaking, and i want one!. n
smile_n_32.gif

Gus

P.S. any names for it yet? ie, hairy hamata or hamata velvet?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ch'ien Lee @ Oct. 03 2004,6:29)]Hi All,

Thought people might be interested to see this stunning new variety of N. hamata which I recently photographed in Sulawesi.  It comes from a mountain quite far away from the type locality of N. hamata and shows that this species has a good bit of geographical variation throughout its range.

img]http://www.wildborneo.com.my/forum/nep-ham1.jpg[/img]

Compared with the variety from Gunung Lumut (which is probably the source of all the plants currently in cultivation?), the pitchers of this new form are more robust and entirely red with a dense coating of rusty brown hairs.  Also, the bristles on the lid are not as numerous nor branched.  In all other vegetative respects it matches N. hamata very well.

Best regards,
Ch'ien
Ch'ien Lee,

Very nice photograph... What camera did you use to take it?

Hello Ch'ien,

many thanks for sharing this wonderful photo!

This brings back a discussion I had earlier this year with Johannes Marabini. He mentioned that the plant Turnbull and Middleton described as N. hamata is a different plant than the N. dentata described by Kurata. He thought the plant described as N. hamata might in fact be a hybrid of N. dentata and N. tentaculata. - Judging from your pitcure I have to agree. A hybrid of the plant on your photo and N. tentaculata in fact could look very similar to the plant described as N.hamata.

Cheers Joachim

Wow, very snazy. I wish I could grow that guy.

Any way so you think the current N.hamata in cultvation is a hybrid and the true hamata is that fuzzy pink one?

I disagree on the N. tentaculata theory. I don't think N. tentaculata with any species could produce what we see as the N. hamata in cultivation. I wouldn't rule out that perhaps a little N. tentaculata influence way back in the distant past is a possibility.

Tony

Hi Ch'ien,

Glad to see you posting again! You come back in style, lol! That is the hairiest pitcher I have ever seen. What a great, great find.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ Oct. 03 2004,3:41)]This brings back a discussion I had earlier this year with Johannes Marabini. He mentioned that the plant Turnbull and Middleton described as N. hamata is a different plant than the N. dentata described by Kurata. He thought the plant described as N. hamata might in fact be a hybrid of N. dentata and N. tentaculata. - Judging from your pitcure I have to agree. A hybrid of the plant on your photo and N. tentaculata in fact could look very similar to the plant described as N.hamata.

Hi Joachim,

An interesting point, however I think the reason for this belief is due to the great difference in the upper and lower pitchers of this species.  Although Turnbull & Middleton cited the specimen Kurata used in his description, they used a specimen of their own collection from the same mountain for the type of N. hamata.  Kurata's material (Eyma 3572) consisted only of upper pitchers and these showed the unusual long-clawed peristome.  T & M's description included the lower pitchers and noted their similarity with N. tentaculata.  For those who have seen the plants in the wild or been able to grow them to flowering size, it is readily apparent that the tentaculata-like lower pitchers and the long green upper pitchers with the clawed peristome belong to the same plant.  Although it is certainly possible that N. hamata occasionally hybridizes with N. tentaculata, I haven't yet seen any plants in the wild which might represent this cross.

The red hairy plant in the photograph merely represents a geographical variant of N. hamata, and it does NOT occur at the type locality (sorry, not revealing any localities for now).  The plants in this population appear to have very little variation, although peristome color is occasionally yellowish-green between the teeth.  Upper pitchers of this variety are generally orange in color and although they do have a nicely toothed peristome, the claws are not as long as the G. Lumut variety.

The picture was taken with a Nikon D70, Nikkor Micro 60mm, and tripod.

Best regards,
Ch'ien

Hello Ch'ien,

I'll trade my liver right now for that plant!!!
blues.gif
!!

I am speechless..    ...  ...

Any idea when this plant will be available? I've already chewed all my fingernails off!! heheh  
smile_m_32.gif

Thank's for giving all of us here a chance to see it. Makes me wonder what else is hiding out there
smile_k_ani_32.gif
 ( let's see, tent.. mosquito repelant..boots...compas?
smile_m_32.gif
 )

Robin

can't be a hybrid- the peristome and hair is too prominant. if it was a hybrid the amount of hair and structure of the peristome would be greatly reduced.

that's a true amazing plant, it reminds me of the little aliens from the Critters movies.

Back