What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having babies!

Hi guys!

I'm so happy! My N.Maxima and N.Sanguinea are about to finish one new pitcher each, at the same time ^_^. The firsts since I've gotten the plants =). And they look so great too! Really wish I had a digital camera to show them off...

By the way, Sanguinea is usually red, right? Mine is a sanguinea "genting", it's green with red spots on the inside of the pitcher, that's the color it's supposed to be or is it lacking light?

you grew these from seeds right?

There are various forms of sanguinea, ranging from green, to yellowish and orange, speckled, red and purple.

Nah, I doubt I would have the patience (or the skill) to grow them from seeds.
I bought them as small plants, they respectively had 1 and 2 pitchers, but they've been growing slowly in my care....or at least it seems slow to me, besides my monstruous P.Moranensis, D.Capensis and N.Ventricosa growing like their lives depend on it...

Anyway, Maxima and Sanguinea had made a few leaves but so far no pitcher, until now! =D

Btw, how can you tell if a nep is "eating" everything on it's plate? "_"

Your N. sanguinea will likely color up something similar to this guy here:
sanguineaorange2.jpg

The true red sanguineas are a little more difficult and are very red or even maroon/brown. My "red" sanguinea seems to want cooler temps to give me nice sized pitchers. It will pitcher in the interediate chamber but they aren't as big and impressive as the "orange" which grows in the very next pot.

All in all though, this form of N. sanguinea is a very rapid & easy grower! Mine went from a 6" diameter seedling to over a meter tall with uppers and basal shoots in a little over 14 months! Nice fun plant!

Back