What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher longevity?

• Thread starter Phyrex
  • Start date
Which Nepenthes pitchers have the longest life?

That is: From the moment they are open (fully grown) and till they show the first real signs of dieing.

I had a single pitcher on one of my N. ventratas that lasted for almost a year.

It's entirely variable upon the species and the environment they are in. In climate controlled chambers like mine I've had pitchers last almost a year on: N. hamata, rajah, bicalcarata, truncata and fusca. It seems that the highland pitchers last the longest but this may simply because many are very thick walled and sturdy in comparison to the lowland species who have paper thin pitcher walls (campanulata, mirabillis var. echinostoma, etc.). All in all there will probably be no definitive answer since so many variables come into play: temp, humidiity, amount of food, quality of water, etc...

Heh true Swords
smile.gif
, I wasn’t really expecting one “definitive” answer of course. But it’s certainly possible to place Neps in “short life” “medium life” & “(very) long life” groups.

The environment is of course close to optimal for the species that’s in it when taking the longevity into account.

Size probably also has a lot of influence on the pitchers lifetime. The examples you named aren’t exactly small or something.
biggrin.gif
This also makes sense because it takes the plant much more energy to create a large pitcher so it also should last longer to ‘earn’ back the energy/nutrients. ^_^

I've had the same pitcher on my amp for 6 months now....it's starting to look tired, but it's still alive.

Nice.

Do you think the pitcher still works well though? (Digesting & absorbing fluids)
biggrin.gif

Maybe asking the converse is a better idea... Which species are known for having short pitcher life? Eustachya is one. Some varieties of fusca don't last long either in full form.

makes sense that plants with woody pitchers would last longer. you also have to take age into consideration.

for example, under ideal conditions, with plants of different species which are all the same age, with no food places into the pitchers, X's pitchers last the longer.

Back