Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: N rowanae in thailand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 13 2004,11:06)]Honestly, I was not aware that N. smilesii had been granted species status(I thought it was still N. mirabilis var smilesii). How embarassing!
    If so, it would be nice if the ICPS Database was updated to show this. It does not show N. smilesii to be a species. It even shows the status of N. mirabilis var smilesii to be merged into N. mirabilis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, Marcello.

Some of those clones of 'Tiger' and 'Red Tiger' are very nice too. Hardly the boring anamensis!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marcello:

Thanks for your input. It is a very interesting topic. I agree with you regarding the origins of Viking and Rowanae. I was wondering whether you can do a comparison study between the two species, pointing out the differences so we can get educated a bit more. Perhaps, it would be great if you can get some pictures of Rowanae and put them side by side with those of Viking?

Does anybody have a picture of the real thorellii?

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Hi pondboy. I thought about it and i chose divergent evolution because the plants are evolving in different habitats, even though very similar in conditions.
    If i am not mistaken, it'd be convergent evolution if the plants were developing in the same habitat (physical space), but because one is in thailand and the other in Australia, there are two totally different locations plus the fact that they have the same ancestor (typical of divergent evolution)
    Hey Gus,
    I think Pond Boy is actually right on this one. Convergent evolution is when two species evolve similar traits to cope with similar conditions. Divergent evolution would mean they were developing different traits.
    For example, there are two species of vine snake, one in the North America and one in Africa (? think it's Africa) that are virtually indistringuisable on the visible level. This is due to convergent evolution: They live in similar environments, and both developed the same body shape/coloring to cope with it.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I imported several cuttings of the plants from Thailand. A few have been in bloom this last summer. I thought that the plant
    called "viking" might be a mirabilis cross with xhookeriana. I brought back several plants from Thailand that were xhookeriana.
    Alot of the seed of N. smilesii and kampotiana/anamensis sprouted and I hope to release some next summer. The seed looked immature but has sprouted for the last four years. I did find two distinct types of Nepenthes from the highlands. One I have had for years sold as a true N. kampotina from Orgel's I saw on Phu Kadung. A small trap type plant, gracilis looking. The other was much larger with different leaves and traps. When I transplant them next spring I'l look for the tuberous roots.
    Truly,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Schloaty:

I think the viking-rowanae evolution terminology gets messy. because if we look for function, both have pitchers with similar if not identical function. it is more of a divergent-convergent evolution. Maybe this is the first case study of a new type of evolution!.

One thing i have learned so far, labelling things can get messy, because they are not black or white as we want them to be all the time!>

It is convergent because they evolve similarly, but convergent evolution evolving beings never have same ancestors while divergent does!.

The argument against divergent is that the new structures or beings will both have different functions, while in this case they are still pitchers and they still catch insects. it is more of a semi-convergent evolution!>

This is fantastic yet, very confusing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everybody,

the species status of N. smilesii is not official yet. t's just like Martin Cheek told me that and I agree with him. But not many people are knocking at the ICPS doors shouting "please, tell us wheter or not N. smilesii is a species or a mirabilis variety!!" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Cheek is in fact the only person who was able to look at the type specimen of N. smilesii and realized how it's the same plant we find on Phu Kradung (anamensis/kampotiana) and not just a mirabilis, as it was wrongly thought by Danser looking at just one specimen a lot of years ago...

As I said before not many people are interested in these particular species, so we'll have to wait a bit before opinions among a couple of tassonomists and a few growers become official things. But how things must have gone with N. smilesii is well explained on my website.

About the differences between rowanae and viking, actually it's a problem for my slow computer to move and upload pics, but as soon as I'll renew my site, these things will be added (actually the only good pics of rowanae come from Exotica Plants, I don't have any). I'm also waiting to know wheter or not I can pubblish on nepenthesofthailand all I know about the possible future description of N. viking by a well known nepenthofile. Together with that I'll put the peculiar characteristics of this new species, to distinguish it from rowanae without just trusting a few photos.

A good change for the future would be to have a good picture of the dry type specimen of N. thorelii, to know exactly what we're looking for!!! Up to now the only plant (maybe two) that looks different and could really be it, is...well, check Nepenthes of Indochina, there's a list of all the photos of anamensis and thorelii we find on the web, and on the left I wrote what I think they really are...
    It gives you an idea about the general confusion there's among growers!!!

cheers,
    Marcello
    Last edited by Marcello Catalano; 01-30-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    I'm Nong,Thailand >> the one who asked for your contribution about "Viking" , an unidentified Nepenthes in Thailand
    I've just run across this forum and found that all your ideas are very informative esp. Trent "It would be interesting to see a more detailed account of where the Nepenthes 'Viking' grow-what the habitats are like." and Gus "It'd be great to put pictures side by side of leaves and pitchers to make an appropriate comparison".
    Great inspiration.
    So ,I'm going to add more pics. and more information about Viking as I have learnt by long experience. These include pics. of upper pitchers , leaves , flowers and an extrodinary Viking that look like -Jess the lowlander fiend's posted pic. of N.rowanae . And I would like to ask all for permission to put your valuable opinion in http://www.neofarmthailand.com/index.p....Ntype=6
    [URL=http://www.neofarmthailand.com/index.p....Ntype=6] for further discussion and contribution.

===Nong===

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast