Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkey curries and pig basket weeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

I’m a German expat based in Taipei, Taiwan, and have been enjoying for quite a while now the quaint nomenclature Mandarin Chinese offers for various insectivorous plants. Utricularia are “Ear Cleaning Weeds”, and the genus Nepenthes can be literally translated as “Pig Basket Weed“. N. ampullaria is called „Apple Pig“ (the „basket weed” is dropped for brevity’s sake, only the “pig” remains), N. bicalcarata „Two Tooth Pig “, N. khasiana „Indian Pig “ etc.

In the Philippines, one of the terms for Neps is “condom plant” (now THERE’S an idea!), and the Thais also seem to have fun naming their bug-eating shrubs: http://www.neofarmthailand.com/index.p....Ntype=6
    (first paragraph).

With all that obvious potential, I’m thinking of putting together a little glossary of amusing CP names in various languages. German doesn’t yield much of interest here, but I’m betting there’s a whole lotta more good stuff in other languages.

Would anybody be able to contribute?

Thanks in advance!

Hans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In the Philippines, one of the terms for Neps is “condom plant”
    HA! Looking at some of the species, like truncata, those phillipinos must think a lot of themselves! LMAO!

How about "tiptiwichet" (I think I spelled that right...anyone care to correct me) for the Venus Fly Trap?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hans!
    Here goes: the common name for a VFT in Japanese is "haejigoku" (pronounced like hah-eh-jee-goh-koo). Hae means fly, and jogoku means hell. Basically, the VFT is a fly's image of hell I guess (arijigoku are what lacewing larvae are called, ari meaning ant). I know Nepenthes is utsubokazura, utsubo meaning eel, but I'm not 100% sure as to what the whole name means.

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reminding me of the Tippitiwitchet! I almost forgot about the "Toothed Vagina" there for a second....
    Quite a bit of background (albeit also a bit non-conclusive) on the origin of this word can be found here:

http://www.tippitiwitchet.co.uk/tippity.html

Amori:
    FLY HELL? Ooooh, this is absolutely priceless - the best in the collection so far!

Our downstairs neighbor is a part-time interpreter for Japanese, I'll ask him about the Nepenthes eel term and report back a.s.a.p.

cheers and keep 'em coming, y'all!

Hans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, just thought of another one. There is a local term for S. purpurea ssp venosa...don't know where from, called "saddleback."
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Oct. 12 2004,10:57)]Oh, just thought of another one. There is a local term for S. purpurea ssp venosa...don't know where from, called "saddleback."
    "Saddleback"? What whereabouts is that from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to say from the outter banks (NC), but I'm not 100% sure about that...I am fairly sure it's one of the carolinas, though. I think it was mentioned in the Savage Garden...If I remember, I'll check when I get home.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1988 I wrote an article for CPN titled Carnivorous Plants in Micronesia
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/pubs/cpn88.pdf
    On Palau, N. mirabilis is called "Meliik"; on Yap, it is called "Youaad", or more commonly, "tafene fii ko borro", literally "the place that rats pee." It is thought that the pitchers contain rat urine, perhaps because of the odor of decaying insects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast