What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever tried this?

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Has anyone ever tried growing a Nep like a mounted orchid? I think I might try it, if I can get hold of a cheap nep. If youve tried what were your conclusions, and how did you grow it? What species did you try? I think it would be a fun experiment. Thanks for the feedback.

I know it's been done.  I think Swords did it with one of the species.... insermis maybe?  Many nep species grow ephitically.

Kinda like this?
sc01775.jpg

This is the Gallery,
it's all in Japanese but he has put up some nice pics of his plants (mounted ones as well), which should be enough explanation
smile.gif

Good luck, and have fun!

Amori

i have pings and neps plantes in a crack in a big log in my terrarium, does that count?

Most epiphytic orchids are grown in pots because a mounted plant is very sensitive to drying and temperature swings and sun. But, if you can provide the environmental conditions they expect, anything is possible. Even a mounted Nep.

I currently hqave a 'Judith Finn' mounted to manzanita wood. It is working fine but does need to be watered every day as was said it dries very quickly. It puts out new leaves and pitchers just the same. I also added mycorrhiza to the mix its mounted in.

JLAP, what you describe would be lithophytic and I beleive ther are many lithos in Neps as well.

Joe

i was wondering how your experiment was going Joe when i saw this post. glad to hear its doing well.

Rattler

Cool, now I just have to get hold of an "experimental" plant. I'll tell you how it goes in a later post.

i thought lithophytic plants grow on rocks?

While I am not Jlap I may be able to answer the Litho q,

Lithophytes are plants that are found growing on rocks, boulders, bare stone cliffs etc.

There are many Neps found in places that would indicate at least a few of them would grow as Lithophytes although given a Neps thirst I would suggest that there would be some sort of leaf mould or peat located in a crack or deppresion to be able to support the plant. Having said that, stranger things have been discovered and anything is posible.
Maybe a good experiment to try, set up kinda like the bonsai with the roots trained down over the rocks, who knows?

Cheers, Chris.

the neps that appear to "mounted" on the poles are actually palm trees. The plant is planted in the scutes of the tree the the moss is allowed to grow

I have been doing very well with the Judith Finn. I added a pinch of Agar to help the soil stay moist a little longer. I also use Mycorrhiza on all my mountings, I notice a huge difference.

Joe

Update for those who care: The N. 'Judith Finn' I have mounted, is finally settled in and putting out growth at every bit the rate that any other Nep in soil would and it is beginning to pitcher normally. Leaves are getting bigger in leaps and bounds now.

Joe

Joe,glad to hear that:) And I would be interested in seeing a pic:;):

The "pole" on which the neps are growing in Shokuchuu's photo might be the "trunk" of a large fern called hapuu, or some relative of it.  It's used for mounting orchids because it retains a certain amount of water but doesn't get soggy.  Can't see the top of it, but it may still be alive, with thick 3-4 ft. fronds growing from the top.

Back