What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever hear of Plattsburgh State? That's my alma mater. Coming from the Island, I just can't believe what the dining hall passes off as pizza! At least the powers that be got wise and put out boxes of cold cereal as an alternative to what they called food. Do you speak Lawn-guy-land? Those folks actually pronounced the 'R's that us LI-ers don't. Not to mention the letter 'A' - like pear-ants instead of parents.

You must be the most popular gal in the dorm, with that VFT! Now, can you recite the Krebs cycle?

Ah, yes, the topic in question. Um, I received a N. gracilis cutting recently and it seems to be tolerant of my less-than-perfect kitchen window conditions. So that one should be easy.

BTw, what would you people reccomend for something tough and fast growing as(or more than) ventrata, yet which looks different? Also, being attractive to ants is a plus.

Nflytrap,
There are tons of neps that are tough and cool looking. Most of the hybrids will be vigorous and hardy. I'd look through lots of pics and pick one you like. Really, there are only a small number of neps that are really picky, though few are as tough as the N. x ventrata. I'd look at N. ventricosa, hybrids with maxima, veitchii, ventricosa, truncata. One of my current faves is N. truncata x ventricosa, which makes HUGE pitchers, but is easy and hardy. Tony might still have some.

Also, look for N. x Rokko, or N. x Koto "efflugent". I've had great success with those.

Capslock

How about n. sanguinea? It is supposedly a faster grower than ventricosa. 12 inch pitchers too
medium-smiley-061.gif

Sounds good.

Now to find some cuttings...

The main concern is low humidity.

Back