Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easiet nep variety to grow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've decided to look for a CP that doesn't need a winter dormancy period (as he vft's will be in the fridge roughly this time next year) and nepenthes seemed like a good option... my mum's looking around for christmas gift ideas and i *subtly* dropped a hint for a PFT giftcard

would a rafflesiana or ventricosa be easy to grow? i was thinking of getting the PFT 1.5 gal round terrarium and their soil, and mixing in some orchid bark as i've seen some sites reccommend. lighting wouldn't be a problem, i tend to get very creative on a limited budget...

also, odd side question... how IS nepenthes pronounced? is it NEP-en-thees, ne-PEN-thees, or some other combination i haven't figured out? i was never very good with latin names!!!

thanx!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iono anyway I think those two would do great, but another thought, Miranda
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Moonflower,
    I say ne-PEN-thees. With regards to easy varieties, ventricosa is more adaptable than raflesiana. Rafs are very good plants if you can provide good lowland conditions, but you really need to be able to do that.

Other easy neps are alata, khasiana and sanguinea. You could also go the hybrid route, like ventrata (ventricosa x alata), truncata x ventricosa or ventricosa x khasiana.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add N. truncata

I can also add N. coplandii! I took one out of my greenhouse this Spring and put it on my picnic table in full sun and it was a happy camper all Summer. Never missed a beat lol.

BTW a 1.5 gallon terrarium will not hold many Nepenthes for long. How are your growing conditions in your area? Perhaps just go with a durable one and try windowsill growing?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a first time nep, I'd go with N. ventricosa or maybe a 'Judith Finn'. I have both as windowsill plants and they do well in my low humidity (25% to 35%).
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My miranda gets almost no sun and extremely dry air (allthough I mist it several times a day) And it has offshoots growing off like crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a N. x ventrata I got from Capslock and it has given me zero problems besides being a bit slow(but I checked on it every day)-expected from a cutting though!

Dunno if it has been mentioned, but people often mention that gracilis is a weed.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gracilis might be ok depending on the humidity in the room it will be in. The gracilis I got from schloaty back in March has grown slowly, though it has produced a basal shoot that is growing (slowly). However, with my low humidity it has yet to produce a pitcher. I do have one new leave that the tendril has curved up on and the tip is swelling, but I won't call it a pitcher until it is. It has taken 7 months to get the one "almost" pitcher [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] .
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast