Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: He's growing some sort of...appendage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

We had a cold front come through last night (50s) so I brought my Miranda inside. I noticed that he's doing something. There are several of them developing. Could someone please send me a picture of a flower stalk? And I thought I saw something somewhere about "up" pitchers or "top" pitchers or something like that. Whatever these things are, they're not going to be regular leaves with pitchers. They're just long, skinny stalks running upward but at the end they look like they have a baby pitcher. This is exciting!
    \"You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed\"
    ...........Antoine de Saint Exupery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Newbie,
    If the end of the stalk has a collection of little round nodules, then its a bloom spike. Our Miranda plants are blooming too.
    Upper pitchers form the same as lower pitchers. Upper pitchers face away from the tendril, while lowers face towards the tendril. After the blooming, Miranda will start producing the uppers, but flowers are not a requisite. Most Nepenthes will not produce upper traps until the rosette has begun to 'vine out', that is, the distance between the leaves significantly lengthens.
    The cold front is hitting us here in south Florida tonight. It's expected to drop down to about 62 F.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have noticed so far that my 'Miranda's upper pitchers arent as "chubby" as the lowers. coloring and everything else has remained the same.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miranda's maxima blood really starts to show after a while. The first few uppers are very attractive: a tall, infundibular form of the lowers. But after a few of those, it starts producing smaller green traps-very maxima like. Time to chop the vine!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a leaf with a long tendril...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. miranda is flowering for the 3rd time this year now too - whee! Anybody need some pollen?