What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He's growing some sort of...appendage

We had a cold front come through last night (50s) so I brought my Miranda inside.  I noticed that he's doing something.  There are several of them developing.  Could someone please send me a picture of a flower stalk?  And I thought I saw something somewhere about "up" pitchers or "top" pitchers or something like that.  Whatever these things are, they're not going to be regular leaves with pitchers.  They're just long, skinny stalks running upward but at the end they look like they have a baby pitcher.  This is exciting!

Hi Newbie,
If the end of the stalk has a collection of little round nodules, then its a bloom spike. Our Miranda plants are blooming too.
Upper pitchers form the same as lower pitchers. Upper pitchers face away from the tendril, while lowers face towards the tendril. After the blooming, Miranda will start producing the uppers, but flowers are not a requisite. Most Nepenthes will not produce upper traps until the rosette has begun to 'vine out', that is, the distance between the leaves significantly lengthens.
The cold front is hitting us here in south Florida tonight. It's expected to drop down to about 62 F.

Trent

i have noticed so far that my 'Miranda's upper pitchers arent as "chubby" as the lowers. coloring and everything else has remained the same.

Rattler

Miranda's maxima blood really starts to show after a while. The first few uppers are very attractive: a tall, infundibular form of the lowers. But after a few of those, it starts producing smaller green traps-very maxima like. Time to chop the vine!

Trent

My N. miranda is flowering for the 3rd time this year now too - whee! Anybody need some pollen?

Back