What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotten sphagnum moss

I was repotting a couple of nep's today that I got from a friend. They were potted in pure sphagnum, and when I pulled them out, I was thrilled to see a nice rotten mess!
I wouldn't say the roots were rotten so much as the moss was, so I removed almost all the moss, unfortunately along with some of the roots. There are still a reasonable amount of good roots left.

I sprayed the roots with RO water and superthrive to remove the last of the brown ooze, then repotted in a mesh pot (thanks Swords) with  mostly coconut husk, as well as some perlite, charcoal, peat, and chopped sphag (thanks Tony). Then watered again with RO water and superethrive.  The growing point of one plant has dried up. Should I take a cutting of this plant, or leave it? I am aware, that at this point they both have a good chance of dying.

The question I have for you experts is.... Is there something I should water them with to sterilize/disinfect the roots, or something else I should do for them?

Thanks for the help,
Robin

dmw.jpg

Too bad the plants are N. villosa at that! Not much you can do besides let them get dried out a tad. Letting the roots breathe now is important if they were in sloppy rotten moss.

Thanks NG. Yep... Villosa..(sigh).
Well, we will see what happens.

Best bet would be to treat them with proper conditions and just keep your fingers crossed. The roots should stabilize and regrow now that they are in better mix. Concern with pathogens in the roots is minimal since the cause of root death was poor conditions/asphyxiation not pathogens.

The one on the left should recover nicely but will be a while for it to regrow it's root system.

The one on the right is troublesome. The blackened growth point is not good. You have the option of either leaving it or cutting the top off.
If you leave the top on the risk of a pathogen getting in there and rotting out the center is high. However there is a small possibility that it will shoot a new leaf out of the center.
If you cut the top off your forcing the plant to make a new growth from a lateral bud. You do remove SOME of the risk from a pathogen rotting the center but not all. Because cutting the top off exposes the plant to possible pathogen entry in itself. You will also invariably remove a couple leaves at least which will lessen the plants ability to photosynthesize. Tough call on that one ..

Tony

Tony, thanks for the help.
Thanks for pointing out the fact that they were suffocating, and not diseased. I was over here freakin out heheh.

I would not be suprised if the one on the left makes a suprising comeback. I would also not be suprised if the one on the right looks like that for another 6 months at least. I am tempted to cut off the top, but that would leave very few leaves left to feed it
confused.gif
I'll update these pics if and when they decide to live.
Robin

Thought I would update a couple threads here.
It's official. coconut chips rule! These guys seem to love it, and I would put them in the "picky" category. Don't know if it made a difference, but I dipped the roots in sm90 before transplanting.
Robin
villbefore1.jpg

after
villdone.jpg

vill2.jpg

OHH nice update! Look like they are coming along very well, the Sphagnum included hehe.
Tony

Looks wonderful, maybe the save of the year. Nice job, Robin.
When I visited my Dad a couple of years ago in Houston(Christmas time), I found a nursery down there with giant bags of orchid supplies. I bought a big bag of orchid bark and brought it home(collapsable gym bag on the plane).
Since then, I have tried cocohusk chips and I just love the way they feel.
I still have most of the bag of orchid bark, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Wow! What a comeback! Very very nice my friend!

Wow
The plant has made an amazing come back but look at that Spagnum its as lush as can be
smile.gif

bye for now julian

Back